Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PS4 details begin showing up, Redesigned controller, Screenshot and playback functionality

5 posters

Go down

PS4 details begin showing up, Redesigned controller, Screenshot and playback functionality Empty PS4 details begin showing up, Redesigned controller, Screenshot and playback functionality

Post by Killswitchmad Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 10:44

The controller

Sources close to the hardware manufacture have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but it’s not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware.

The specification

Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

PS4 details begin showing up, Redesigned controller, Screenshot and playback functionality Empty Re: PS4 details begin showing up, Redesigned controller, Screenshot and playback functionality

Post by N1NJA FWG Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 11:16

Again with the dual shock design. Sony are getting plenty of mileage out of it. Unfortunately, for me its one of the reasons I don't enjoy gaming on my PS£ as much as my 360 as I think the 360 controller is superior

All the rumors and 'leaks' are pointing towards the PS4 being the stronger machine in terms of raw horsepower and that might not be so good for M$
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

PS4 details begin showing up, Redesigned controller, Screenshot and playback functionality Empty Re: PS4 details begin showing up, Redesigned controller, Screenshot and playback functionality

Post by Killswitchmad Sat 2 Feb 2013 - 13:17

I do hope they firm the analouge sticks up this time round, Horsepower is going to be interesting as arguably the PS3 with its "cell" processor was much strong than the 360. Both will no doubt have strengths here though so it'll be up to the devs deciding which will be the lead multiplatform system....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais Fri 8 Feb 2013 - 17:00

Killswitchmad wrote: Both will no doubt have strengths here though so it'll be up to the devs deciding which will be the lead multiplatform system....

Surely it will be who pays the most to have it on their system first.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Fri 8 Feb 2013 - 17:32

Haha fickle view Pais Laughing

When it comes to multiplatform titles nearly all devs have a lead platform where they choose the easiest to develop for and then port to the other system, This gen the 360 has been lead due to its easy architecture however alot of devs seem to be saying PS4 is easier this time around although the gap is much smaller....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 16:04

sounds like M$ are aiming for a home hub which also plays games while sony are going for the dedicated games machine
Duke
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 19:33

It certainly looks that way Dave and this article on EG surmises that as well.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-durango-vs-orbis

I fear that M$ are losing sight of what made gamers flock to the 360 in the first place and it could cost them because the more I read atm, I am swaying towards the PS4 as being the better gaming console as I don't see Sony making the same mistakes on PSN as they did with the PS3 i.e. cross party chat
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pagey Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 19:40

I think I will be switching to the PS4 if all the rumors are true
Pagey
Pagey
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 19:55

Well we shall all see come E3 I guess but agreed with swaying towards PS4 currently, Although I think both will be far more media hub centric than this gen....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 20:01

Maybe so Tom but its an issue over approach as Sony are fairly subtle whereas M$ are extremely aggressive over wanting their machine to be the only media device in your life

I dont see it working though as the concept of Gold is starting to look a little archaic now in its current guise and doesnt work in favour of M$'s strategy. At the end of the day they want you to pay a sub to be able to access media you may already be paying a sub for i.e. Lovefilm, Sky etc.

It doesnt stack up...

N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Sat 9 Feb 2013 - 20:19

I agree on that one mate if Sony continue with a free PSN service then M$ will need to step up to the plate or lose alot of customers, The ads everywhere approach also doesn't suit M$ when paying for a sub its a money grabbing tactic that frankly won't fly next gen. Same goes for Sony though with their recent patent allowing them to interupt anything to show an ad it could turn into ad an hour gaming....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down