Xbox One's Kinect could employ it's own DRM

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Xbox One's Kinect could employ it's own DRM

Post by Killswitchmad on Sat 25 May 2013 - 0:55

Kinect 2 will be able to employ certain DRM measures depending on what it observes in the living room.

That’s the conclusion suggested by a patent filed by Microsoft, and corroborated by sources talking to MCV in the weeks leading up to this week’s Xbox One reveal.

ExtremeTech reports that Microsoft has filed for a patent that allows Kinect to monitor the number of viewers in the room. It then cross-checks this with the maximum number of viewers permitted by the licence that a user agrees to when purchasing or renting content.

If it is deemed that too many people are present, the user will be prompted to pay an additional fee to upgrade the licence.

Says the filing: “The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.”

It should be noted too that Kinect is designed to continuously observe its roommates. It also adds that the T&Cs for any particular piece of content can be determined by the copyright holder.

It’s also hard to stop yourself pondering where such a tech ideology could lead. Could Kinect block 18-rated content if it detects minors in the room? What if the owner of the content licence leaves mid-viewing?
And how much of this information is being fed back to Microsoft? And even more importantly, its affiliates?

Are content owners paying to receive information about what part of a film viewers enjoyed the most? Or whether they continued to look at the TV screen when an advertisement was aired?
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Re: Xbox One's Kinect could employ it's own DRM

Post by slowdog76 on Sat 25 May 2013 - 8:01

its a yucky and tricky area this and there are a few things to point out.

between this article, and what has been said elsewhere, it looks like you can "set" the size of your household. that isnt so much of a problem. what is a problem is when the console detects numbers exceeding that. i suspect that a small number wouldnt be a problem and that problems would only arise when a slightly more significant number are present.

unfortunatly, it would probably be deemed that they can do this. there are laws that prevent "public performances" of certain things - movies, sports that are subscription based, etc - as well as a few other laws as well for assorted things. i suspect that this patent if implemented would not really infringe on us, but would instead be used to ensure that certain establishments - pubs, etc - dont use the device to show movies and sports when they shouldnt.

i will give you an example. i used to run a pub. i wanted to have sky sports. now, u r not allowed to just go and get sky, u have to get a "special" version. instead of this causing 50, 60, 70 a month or whatever, the price is calculated on a few factors. mine was well over £8k a year, iirc. a little pint pot would be in the corner of the screen during matches to show you have legal right to do so. now, whilst not impossible to do so, to get normal consumer sky into your establishment with skys official gear is not particularly easy to do. i mean, if you want sky, you have to go to sky....and supply your address. last gen, the xbox gave publicans etc a way to circumvent this. all they had to do was get the xbox and tie it into someones account. ok, sure, people from sky (or the police actually) could come in and see that the footy was on with no pint pot in the corner of the screen. bang, the publican is in bother.

assuming this is not one of the "many patents" that microsoft apply for every year just in case (that has been said by them recently), and they do plan to implement it, i would imagine that the number of people ever affected by it would be very very small
slowdog76
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top