Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sony unveils VR Headset for PS4

5 posters

Go down

Sony unveils VR Headset for PS4 Empty Sony unveils VR Headset for PS4

Post by N1NJA FWG Wed 19 Mar 2014 - 9:08

Taken from bbc.co.uk

Sony unveils VR Headset for PS4 _73669065_tv021585447

Sony has unveiled a prototype for a virtual reality headset for its PlayStation 4 console at a developers conference in San Francisco.

Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony's Worldwide Studios, said Sony had been working on the technology - called Project Morpheus - for three years.

"We believe VR will shape the future of games," said Mr Yoshida in a blog post.

The prototype will be made available to developers, but no commercial release date was given.

Project Morpheus is a head-mounted display with 1080p resolution and a 90 degree field of view.

It has sensors built into the unit that can track head orientation and movement, so that when a user's head moves, the image of the virtual reality world moves with it.

Sony's move into virtual reality follows a product released by crowd-sourced group Oculus Rift.

It unveiled its prototype headset Crystal Cove at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Its strongly rumoured that Microsoft is also working on a VR set for XB1 so add this to Occulus Rift and we should be seeing more on Virtual Reality gaming over the coming months.

Any thoughts on this? I am interested to know how good this one will be as there may be reservations over the power of the new consoles being up to the task of turning out a quality VR experience. Time will tell I guess Smile
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sony unveils VR Headset for PS4 Empty Re: Sony unveils VR Headset for PS4

Post by Killswitchmad Wed 19 Mar 2014 - 10:35

Meh I get motion sickness playing Halo 2 so God knows what this would do to me  Silent 
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by slowdog76 Wed 19 Mar 2014 - 12:46

I'm intreaged. I just worked out that almost exactly 20 years ago I first tried VR in an arcade in London, on Oxford st iirc. It was pretty exciting. Now though, whilst I would like to think it will be fun and immersive, I cant help but think that it will be a bit of a far. How will headsets, or rather, the wearing of work with this? In fact, how will parties and General OS navigating be anything other than odd. Seems like a very SP orientated experience to me.

Also, renders the second screen experience non existent
slowdog76
slowdog76
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Wed 19 Mar 2014 - 13:07

It does seem more suited to single player to me as well Matt. It could be interesting though - FPS games will feel more immersive, driving games could make you feel like you are inside the car and flying games could be awesome.

The thought of playing something like Outlast on VR though, could be pant wetting!

As I understand it, Sony's set will require the PS camera and DS4/Move to work and will need to be connected to the console. Sony have said in time they would like to get it working wirelessly but I would guess that one of the biggest detractors to VR is latency so for now they need to make sure that is as low as possible.

It does have HDMI out though so if you really wanted to, you could hook it up and show what you were doing on a TV. Not much point for the individual I guess but could have some uses.

Something interesting with this is that Sony claim it works for people who have to wear glasses - something VR has struggled with in the past.

I wouldnt mind giving VR a go and I am kicking myself that I didnt just bear the queues at EG last year and tried out Occulus Rift - feedback on the whole from that was very positive.
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais Wed 19 Mar 2014 - 18:03

I'll buy it depending on price. I'm a sucker for tech.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Wed 19 Mar 2014 - 19:59

Does that mean we might get 'Better than Life' sooner rather than later Smile
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Wed 19 Mar 2014 - 20:44

Pais wrote:I'll buy it depending on price. I'm a sucker for tech.

According to this article, the Oculus Rift devs are looking to keep their unit at around the $300 (£191) mark.

Realistically, I think Sony will need to be aiming for a similar value as to make it appear an attractive offer. They may even have put together bundles with the camera

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/gaming-accessories/oculus-rift-1123963/review/2#articleContent
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Sat 22 Mar 2014 - 12:30

I saw someone raise a very good point about this today, with Sony, Oculus Rift and supposedly MS all working on different VR sets it's likely that the market will be fractured for VR which means multiplatform games probably won't take advantage of them so like Kinect we might well see very few games released for them....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down