Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My thoughts from the weekend

+4
Andy
FWG Rigor Mortice
FlukeyHeadshot
Waylander FWG
8 posters

Go down

My thoughts from the weekend Empty My thoughts from the weekend

Post by Waylander FWG Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 17:22

Here is the summary of the games that I played at EG over the weekend. I’m not into doing full blown reviews, so I have given them each a mark out of 10 and some comments/opinions of what I thought.

Battlefield 3 (360 Multiplayer & PS3 Single Player) – 7 out of 10

The general consensus from Chris, Tom and Beales was that they were seriously underwhelmed by this. Expectation was very high, and in my opinion, I quite enjoyed it, and I’m looking forward to it coming out. Whether my opinion is based upon the fact that I haven’t had much exposure to Bad Company 2, I don’t know.

Ridge Racer Unbounded (360) – 3 out of 10

This is one to avoid for me. I could only stomach 1 lap, and it was pretty awful, the controls were really sloppy, and it took almost a button bashing attempt to actually drift around corners. The standard for games like this have been set so high in the past with the likes of Burnout Paradise that mere imitations are pretty rank.

Forza Motorsport 4 (360) – 6 out of 10

This was the biggest disappointment this weekend for me. Granted that the only car available was a BWM M5, which was crap, and that I only had 1 lap with all assists on probably doesn’t give it a fair reflection. The handling of the car was all over place, the reactions to brake and accelerator seemed way off and overall the game felt slow. Ninja managed to drift more on his lap around here than on Ridge Racer lol!

Modern Warfare 3 (360) – 7 out of 10

I went in with an open mind on this one. I know there has been a fair amount of negativity surrounding this on here. The only mode available was Spec Ops, and on both occasions it was me and Ninja trying to survive round after round of enemies. It was very similar to the Zombie Mode on Blops. Plays and feels like all COD games, so no disappoint there really. My only issue with this game will be the public Multiplayer, which will probably be similar to MW2 and Blops.

Resistance 3 (PS3) – 6 out of 10

Thought I would try my hand at some of the PS3 games, as I have branched out recently. All I can really say was that it felt just like any other shooter out there in a very competitive genre. I didn’t really get enough playtime to give this a proper go so gets a 6 from me.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North (360) – 3 out of 10

3 is being generous. I picked up on someone else’s game and to be frank, I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, and I was just continually being stomped on by enemies. It didn’t seem to matter what buttons I pressed, it was rinse and repeat of being stomped on followed by death. I tried to exit the game to start from the beginning, which resulted in the machine freezing up on the loading screen, so I swiftly walked away…..it gets 3 because it is Lord of the Rings.

Rage (360) – 6 out of 10

I didn’t really know what to expect here. It gets the same mark as Resistance 3, for the same reasons. There are lots of FSP’s out there at the moment, and too many of them feel the same. It didn’t feel too shoddy, so its one I may look to pick up at some point.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (360) – 7 out of 10

This is currently on my Lovefilm list, and I’m quite looking forward to it. It seemed to be a bit of a button basher, and has interested me enough to be looking forward to a rental copy when it turns up. Tom referred to this as Gears of War without the cover mechanism lol!

Uncharted 3 (PS3) – 6 out of 10

I played the multiplayer on this, and like Rage and Resistance 3 before it, didn’t really seem to do anything different in terms of a FSP. I didn’t get chance to have a go on the single player which I’m sure is a lot different.

Need for Speed: The Run (360) – 5 out of 10

Have you played Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit? If the answer is yes, then you have already played this. While queuing to play this, it looked like HP, and it certainly played like it. I got excited last year about HP, which quickly changed once I picked the game up on release, suffice to say I wont be making the same mistake this year.

WWE 12 (360) – 2 out of 10

I didn’t have any intentions of playing this, but we were standing around, and there were a couple of machines going free. I jumped on one and Beales the other. This was pretty awful, and a game that didn’t give you any idea how to perform any moves, which resulted in both me and Beales button bashing our way out of it. Somehow we both won our matches. I haven’t owned a WWE game since the first Smackdown game on my PS1 (or was it PS2? can’t remember), and frankly this game hasn’t changed my desire to get another one.

World Rally Championship 2011 (360) – 1 out of 10

Oh dear, what a pile of pants. Again standing around, straight after my try of WWE I decided to give this a go, and my god it was awful. You were stuck in the cockpit view of the car, and frankly it didn’t matter what speed you were going the game found some way to make you slide off the track. The amount of times I seemed to hit invisible obstacles on the side of the round was frightening. I was actually close to raging and it was only a demo…….

Renegade Ops (PS3) – 8 out of 10

This was biggest surprise of the weekend, and I only jumped on it because Tom and Chris were playing co-op on another machine. This was excellent, and I was hooked instantly, so much so, I have already paid for and downloaded this for my PS3. It has up to 4 player co-op on the campaign which I can imagine will be really good fun. It is available on the 360 if anyone fancies trying it.

Games that I had a look at, but didn’t get around to trying were Mass Effect 3, Batman Arkham City, Dark Souls, Assassins Creed: Revelations, Counter Strike: Global Offensive….

…and of course Skyrim, which looked pretty good. I really can’t wait for this to come out, but I decided to bide my time until its release in November.

All in all it was a good weekend, but just didn’t seem to have the epicness of last year’s event. I think that was because there was no Gears of War 3 equivalent this year, and the big games due to come out in BF3, MW3 and Forza 4 didn’t really blow me away.

Anyway, that’s my round up and I’m sure I will be planning to go to next year’s event Very Happy

Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

My thoughts from the weekend Empty Re: My thoughts from the weekend

Post by FlukeyHeadshot Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 17:27

Fantastic write ups there matey. Thanks for taking the time to do them. I'm a tad worried now about Battlefield 3, my expectations are probably a bit too high, better lower the a touch. The forza 4 write-ups have worried me a bit as well. Guess we will see with the BF3 Beta and Forza demo not to far away.

Thanks again. Will be there next year defo!

Matt

FlukeyHeadshot
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 18:15

nice one Shaun. im supprised you managed to keep away from skyrim. thought you would of been all over it! a good show of restraint
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=657179664

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 18:17

if you get renegade ops then i will. i was musing this but need to be played coop i reckon.
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 19:59

Andy, me and Tom played a bit of Renegade Ops in co-op and it was a lot of fun. I am pretty tempted to get it but whether I get it on 360 or PS3, I havent decided yet

On reflection, I think 7/10 is a tad harsh on BF3 - the MP did feel better on second playthrough and those awful Onza pads really didnt help. The SP demo on PS3 seemed very good though and brought my hopes back up after they were dented a little on Saturday.

Forza did underwhelm but then I think back to the demo of FM3 and not being overly impressed with that at first. I think both games will be just fine but I think there will enough subtle differences in gameplay between them and their predecessors that they will probably require some adjustment in approach and time before we start to get the best out of them.

N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FlukeyHeadshot Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:18

Think your right Chris, I think I'm gonna walk on to Battlefield 3 and be as good as I am on Bad Company 2 when in reality that ain't gonna happen. Smile

Matt

FlukeyHeadshot
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:24

N1NJA FWG wrote: I am pretty tempted to get it but whether I get it on 360 or PS3, I havent decided yet

you have a ps3 as well?
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:28

Andy wrote:
N1NJA FWG wrote: I am pretty tempted to get it but whether I get it on 360 or PS3, I havent decided yet

you have a ps3 as well?

Heretic!
Duke
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:32

Andy wrote:

you have a ps3 as well?

Yep Very Happy
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:34

in that case its a ps3 purchase as with the exeption of the big multiplayer games ms can sook ma root Razz
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:41

lol!
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG MARKY FWG Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:46

N1NJA FWG wrote:
Andy wrote:

you have a ps3 as well?

Yep Very Happy

Thats it I'm off to set up my own forum!!!

bloody gaylords here!!!
FWG MARKY FWG
FWG MARKY FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 20:53

Andy wrote:if you get renegade ops then i will. i was musing this but need to be played coop i reckon.

Download the demo mate, its good fun even on single player, will be a good hoot mulitplayer Smile
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Catatonic Mon 26 Sep 2011 - 22:36

good write shaun mate.
what the hell chris defecting to the dark side.
next thing to happen will be friday game nights on ps3
if so am off TOFFS Very Happy
FWG Catatonic
FWG Catatonic
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down