Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

49% of gamers don't buy DLC - report

+4
Andy
FWG Rigor Mortice
Killswitchmad
Waylander FWG
8 posters

Go down

49% of gamers don't buy DLC - report  Empty 49% of gamers don't buy DLC - report

Post by Waylander FWG Sat 22 Oct 2011 - 12:08

49 per cent of HD console owners have not purchased DLC content in the past 12 months, so says a new report from entertainment research outfit EEDAR.

According to its data, gathered from "a variety of sources", that compares to 60 per cent in 2010 and 66 per cent in 2009.

Its additional survey, which polled 3500 participants, suggests the following reasons that gamers choose not to buy game add-ons:

Privacy: 47 per cent
No return policy: 38 per cent
Too expensive: 32 per cent
Enough free DLC: 24 per cent
No demo: 24 per cent
No reviews: 21 per cent
None for interested games: 20 per cent
Not adequate description: 20 per cent
Not enough gameplay: 18 per cent
Only online multiplayer available: 18 per cent
Only single player available: 15 per cent
Process takes too long: 15 per cent
Complicated storefront: 15 per cent
Not released when wanted: 12 per cent
Not high enough quality: 11 per cent

EEDAR reckons that DLC will generate over $875 million in North America in 2011, a figure that should top $1 billion in 2012.

This is an article I picked up on Eurogamer a couple of days ago. I think it makes interesting reading in particular as we have touched on the debate of DLC before on here.

So whats your view? I have stopped buying DLC, for a couple of reasons, and will probably stick to free DLC given to pre-orders and GOTY editions now.
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

49% of gamers don't buy DLC - report  Empty Re: 49% of gamers don't buy DLC - report

Post by Killswitchmad Sat 22 Oct 2011 - 12:22

Not a massive fan of DLC personally as I think alot of it is overpriced....

There are a few exceptions though:

Free DLC is good.
I'll pay if the quality matches up to the original title and adds something significant.
I'll pay if the price is right.

Things like the CoD maps for instance are just pure money grabbing especially when your paying 1200 M$ points for just 2 new maps and 3 rehashed ones....Devs should take a leaf out of Turn 10's book, 400 points is spot on for most DLC and is just right to keep me coming back, I don't mind paying a little more but only if it's substantial enough to warrant the purchase (BF:BC 2: Vietnam is a good example that was a huge piece of DLC).
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

49% of gamers don't buy DLC - report  Empty Re: 49% of gamers don't buy DLC - report

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Sat 22 Oct 2011 - 16:57

price does play a big part for me but if the content is obviously gonna be good i will pay a little more than perhaps i feel comfortable with. another factor for me is what is the rest of FWG buying?? if loads of you are all jumping into the same dlc and its for a game i own ill normally take the plunge
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=657179664

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat 22 Oct 2011 - 17:31

Content of both dlc and original game is important here.
Take fallout and borderlands. Both have massive value in the hours you can put into the game and the dlc accentuated that loads. The addons appeared to be addons too rather than stuff kept out and added in later.
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by PSIONUK Sat 22 Oct 2011 - 17:44

98% of non dlc buyers are here.... Lol
PSIONUK
PSIONUK
3rd Wall
3rd Wall

https://www.youtube.com/psionuk

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais Sat 22 Oct 2011 - 20:20

Not bought any DLC since CoD4. Never see the need to.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by lookingsideways Tue 25 Oct 2011 - 8:46

hmm dlc....

i downloaded the gtaIV 'lost and the damned' add-on so i could play against my cousin who has the disc version.

after downloading it tells me the version is not compatible with the disc version for online play!!!
i asked micro$oft for a refund ( which legally i'm entitled to under the sale of goods act ) but they tell me it's not their policy to do refunds..... or pay much attention to uk sale laws either?? probably not worth the effort of chasing this up to get 800 micro$oft points back though...
lookingsideways
lookingsideways
1st Wall
1st Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Tue 25 Oct 2011 - 10:10

Thats exactly what they want you to think Very Happy you and everyone else
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Tue 25 Oct 2011 - 16:44

I Agree

The cost of pursuing these sorts of things against M$ simply isnt worth it, and they know it.

Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 13:24

Not worth it on an individual scale. It would take a large group of like minded gamers all with an issue or 2 before it would even be taken up. There must be something that could be done but hey ho ive only ever lost 800 points so not worth bothering looking for a group.......see!! LOL there is no hope
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 14:01

True mate, I would have loved the dosh to tackle M$ over my ban, but hey ho!!
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 14:40

The only down side i can see from not buying DLC is that M$ will end up increasing the price of Live. If that happends i'll get meself a 'Forman'.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Wed 26 Oct 2011 - 15:41

I Agree
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Fri 28 Oct 2011 - 22:12

One reply missed from the survey surely is that a lot of DLC is released too soon....launch DLC by and large pisses a lot of people off.

I am selective over the DLC I will buy (will never pay the rate Activision want for COD map packs) but I have spent plenty in the past and will continue to do so if I feel it offers me a suitable amount of additional content and is value for money.

Some of the best DLC I have bought includes:

Minerva's Den - Bioshock 2
BC Vietnam - BC2
All Fronts pack - Gears 2
Numerous FM2 car packs
Undead Nightmare - RDR
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down