Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microsoft plans two versions of its next Xbox - rumour

4 posters

Go down

Microsoft plans two versions of its next Xbox - rumour  Empty Microsoft plans two versions of its next Xbox - rumour

Post by Waylander FWG Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 9:19

One like a set-top box, the other aimed at the hardcore.

Microsoft plans to launch two very different versions of the next Xbox, according to a Digital Foundry report on GamesIndustry.biz.

The first is described as a "pared down machine" to be released as cheaply as possible. It is likened to a set-top box, and will act as a Kinect-themed gaming portal.

The second is a "more fully-featured machine" with optical drive, hard disk and backwards compatibility. This would be aimed at hardcore gamers and released at a higher price-point.

Kinect, Digital Foundry has heard, will be bundled with both SKUs.

Next-generation talk has ramped up in recent weeks, with Edge reporting that the next Xbox will launch late next year.

Digital Foundry believes this is unlikely, however, suggesting a 2013 launch. The console is rumoured to be set for a reveal at E3 2012.

Edge claimed Ubisoft Montreal is currently developing software using "target boxes" - PCs containing off-the-shelf components provided by Microsoft - and that true dev kits will be available before the end of the year.

The report added that a number of other developers also have the target boxes, including a number of EA studios.

French site Xboxygen reported that Microsoft plans to unveil its next console at the CES show in Las Vegas in January 2012.

In all honesty, I couldnt give a flying fuck as long as the 'core' gaming system is up to scratch and reasonably priced. I will be slightly annoyed if the price is inflated to include Kinect, which frankly I couldnt give a toss about.

Im really hit and miss on the next gen, how much of a bigger step is it going to be? If its all about graphics then again Im not that bothered and might stick with my 360 and PS3 for a few years even after release.

Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Microsoft plans two versions of its next Xbox - rumour  Empty Re: Microsoft plans two versions of its next Xbox - rumour

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 16:12

i dont class myself as hardcore far from it infact. as long as the core machine has all of the features of my current machine plus new ones that will do for me. id trade kinect for storage space any day. if there gonna remove features from the core machine and make certain things "hardcore only" then that is really gonna be a sh*t it gonna mean that if you want at least the level of gaming you are getting now your gonna have to fork out for the hardcore machine. Time will tell I guess
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=657179664

Back to top Go down

Microsoft plans two versions of its next Xbox - rumour  Empty Re: Microsoft plans two versions of its next Xbox - rumour

Post by Waylander FWG Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 16:41

It is only rumour I guess, but if M$ do go down this route then they will have to be careful they dont alienate sections of their current customer base.
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 17:00

Waylander FWG wrote:It is only rumour I guess, but if M$ do go down this route then they will have to be careful they dont alienate sections of their current customer base.

If they can get it out significantly before Sony i'm sure they won't care
Duke
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 18:04

Agree Dave

Maybe to not as extreme a degree as this article suggests, they did the same with the current 360 by producing a core and premium console that sat at differing price points. Surely hardware basics will have to remain completely the same to ensure full compatability.

What odds on the current 360 remaining and aimed purely at the casual Wii type market and the new machine offering the higher hardware specs (and price to reflect) with backwards compatability built in to keep the current game library relevant?

Think about the majority of Kinect orientated games - in the main they are HD versions of Wii style games and are probably barely taxing the current 360 hardware.

Unless Nintendo's next console totally outdoes the 360 & PS3 then MS and Sony might try and keep their current machines going for that bit longer.
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Sun 27 Nov 2011 - 19:42

That does make sense, but if the 'hardcore' machine has built in Kinect then M$ will have to be careful, particularly in price as a lot of gamers (those that would deem themselves hardcore) dont particularly want Kinect, and certainly wouldnt want to pay for it pre-built into the new consoles.

I wonder if the 'pared down' machine is aimed at competing with the likes of Onlive? We dont have good enough quality of broadband in the UK yet, not that it will delay the release of something like this.

Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down