Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scamming Basterds!

+6
Simondo
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Unky Al
Andy
N1NJA FWG
Pais
10 posters

Go down

Scamming Basterds! Empty Scamming Basterds!

Post by Pais Thu 3 May 2012 - 18:37

Had a phone call from some niknak yesterday saying he was from Microsoft. Heres a rundown of went on.

He asked for me by name and already knew my address and postcode.

He then asked me to have a look for errors/warnings in Windows as he said that they have had complaints about pc's crashing. When i said i had found some he passed me onto a 'supervisor' who asked me to type 'www.supportawr' (think there was more to it,thats all i can remember) into the 'run' box.

Having done that i was taken to a website called 'logmein123'. He then asked me to type a code into the search bar on the website. Thankfully i didnt,instead i kept him on the line (his phone call not mine) while i googled 'logmein123'.

Found out they were scammers by going on the MS website,read a few comments and promptly told the niknak to fuck off.

Heres one comment-

If you let them into your computer they could have done anything, literally, anything. They could have planted viruses, or a keylogger that's stealing your passwords, or have downloaded any information from your computer they wanted. You need to contact your local law enforcement department, probably should change all passwords that might have been stored on your computer, and back up essential documents and wipe your computer so you can reinstall clean.

"gemini67" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

I got a phone call right on 2pm today with the samer indian sounding woman telling she is calling from a Sydney based company...same story as all of the above and then Mike came on the phone and because I'm not familiar with all these scams, I did what they told me...I logged into logmein123.com and was shown all the errors etc....Mike who then confused his name with Michael!! agreed to call back tonight cause I said I needed to speak with my husband...Rex Hunter who was on real chat was asking if I wanted to pay now..$149.95? for 12 months and $269.95 for 24 months...I told him I dont have a credit card and preferred to be billed..he advised I could use my debit card...yeah sure pal!!!

Hopefully they wont call back, or if they do, i'll give them a piece of my mind.....dirtbags!!! Luckily i got inquistive and checked this website!!

So....does anyone know if they can hack into your computer at any time? Does anything explode?? Does the system crash?? Anything??

So if you get one of these calls just tell 'em to fuck off.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Scamming Basterds! Empty Re: Scamming Basterds!

Post by N1NJA FWG Thu 3 May 2012 - 18:55

Scary, I bet there are a fair few people who are likely to fall for this Neutral

Dodged a bullet there mate
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu 3 May 2012 - 19:04

i often get these, sometimes play along but sometimes tell them to fuck off, especially as i dont use windows lol
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Unky Al Thu 3 May 2012 - 19:53

Happened to my old fella a few months ago. Luckily I got to him just before he was about to give his credit card details....senile old fucker. Here is what I said when I had one

me: hello
Scammer: hello its cunty bollox from scammers r us, you have viruses on your laptop
me: oh right can I ask how you know the deceased ?
scammer: errr
me: you've just called a crime scene can I ask again how you do you know the deceased
scammer: i don't
me: so do you regularly phone random numbers of people you don't know? Can I have your details so I can rule you out of our enquires
scammer:......phone goes dead
FWG Unky Al
FWG Unky Al
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Thu 3 May 2012 - 21:05

Cheers for the heads up Pais. My wife has had a similar one to this before. Its kinda worrying that they seems to have some of your details to start with.
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=657179664

Back to top Go down

Post by Simondo Thu 3 May 2012 - 23:35

Peice of advice MS will never, ever contact you about windows issues, you have to contact them if you are having problems. Any error reports you send are annonymous.

what these scammers do is

1. access your computer for personal details
2. take money from bank accounts for a virus program that is actually a virus
3. keep repeating the process to scam people who have no tech knowledge or experience reatidly because they panic

Simondo
Simondo
2nd Wall
2nd Wall

https://www.facebook.com/simon.bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Simondo Thu 3 May 2012 - 23:36

FWG Rigor Mortice wrote:Cheers for the heads up Pais. My wife has had a similar one to this before. Its kinda worrying that they seems to have some of your details to start with.

they have that program companies use to generate random phone numbers and try them
Simondo
Simondo
2nd Wall
2nd Wall

https://www.facebook.com/simon.bell

Back to top Go down

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Fri 4 May 2012 - 20:47

Wasnt this guy was it Smile

MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Fri 4 May 2012 - 20:55

lol!
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by feralmatt02 Mon 7 May 2012 - 15:12

echo what Si said above as M$ will never ever call you

Good fun to lead them on a bit though.
feralmatt02
feralmatt02

Back to top Go down

Post by falviousuk Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 19:57

Ive now started playing along with these types of phone calls, taking my time, asking them to repeat information, and goofing around, this can go on for a bit, sometimes they wise up and hang up on you.

However im very rarely plagues by them, last one i got was from 3, who repeatedly called me (im a 3 mobile customer) to sell me more phones for family etc. So i just string them along now.

falviousuk
3rd Wall
3rd Wall

http://www.vazalla.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerRamone2084 Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 16:47

I generally get these folks to listen to the TV or whatever music I happen to have on at the time.

But stringing them along asking to repeat things sounds like a plan too Smile
HomerRamone2084
HomerRamone2084
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum