Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X1 update 11/02

+5
Reaper FWG
HomerRamone2084
slowdog76
totalgizmo
Vegeta01
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

X1 update 11/02 Empty X1 update 11/02

Post by Vegeta01 Wed 5 Feb 2014 - 16:35

Marc Whitten has just posted details on Xbox Wire of the next Xbox One System Update that is coming next week.

Here are the highlights from the post:

On February 11, the first update will be delivered to customers who sign into their Xbox One.  It features many new improvements – including lots of behind-the-scenes updates for developers building apps and games for Xbox One, several new features we believe Xbox fans will love, stability and product updates to improve the customer experience, and continuous improvements to the quality of Kinect voice so commands become more fluid and responsive over time.  While we won’t be going into all of the details of the product updates today, we will be sharing more information soon.

Some of the features you can expect to see on February 11 include:

The ability to see and manage your storage space. With this update, you will find it easy to find how much space your content takes up and better manage your content. You can also control your install lineup and more easily manage your download queue. We’ve separated My Games and My Apps into separate lists, so you can easily create separate queues for both. Now you can pick the order in which you want your content to load and we’ve added a boot progress indicator so you can better track updates while they load.

The battery power indicator is back! You can see it right on the home screen, so you can easily track how much battery life is left on your controller.

And, you will be able to use your USB keyboard with your Xbox One.

These are just a few of the many updates we will be shipping on February 11. We’ll share more details on these and other upcoming features in the coming weeks. We have several surprises in store that we think you’ll love.

March 4 system updates – countdown to “Titanfall”  

On March 4, in advance of what is expected to be the biggest game launch of the year, we will be delivering another system update to prepare your Xbox One for “Titanfall.”  This update will contain  many new features and improvements, most significantly to our party and multiplayer systems.

Via Xbox Wire
Vegeta01
Vegeta01
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

X1 update 11/02 Empty Re: X1 update 11/02

Post by totalgizmo Wed 5 Feb 2014 - 17:46

Whoohoo, they are giving use features that should have been there from the start, thank you Microsoft  Drink 

The ability to see and manage your storage space.

The battery power indicator is back.

Improvements, most significantly to our party and multiplayer systems.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by slowdog76 Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 8:51

yh, they should have been there from the start.

i have no problems with MS (or anyone) trying to change things and do something new. if you dont, things will never progress. but some of these things should never have been omitted. mainly because they weren't replaced with anything different and / or better. the party system im not as upset about. i get what they were trying to do with it - it didnt work, but i appreciate that they tried.

better to try, fuck up and fix than not bother trying at all, or try, fuck up, and do nothing. that latter of which sounds remarkably EA
slowdog76
slowdog76
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerRamone2084 Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 10:03

Why do they need a system update for one game ffs. Is this the shape of things to come - new games need new updates. Sheesh.

Unless of course its an update to fix other stuff they dont want to admit is broken and havent actually quite fixed yet and rather than say that they have - ahem - sugar coated it Smile
HomerRamone2084
HomerRamone2084
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vegeta01 Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 12:15

Did you actually read it?

The second update is for party and multiplayer fixes, they are releasing it in time for Titanfall. That's a good thing, seeing as Titanfall is the biggest release for next 6-8 months.
Vegeta01
Vegeta01
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 14:39

The report is poorly written, it does give the impression they are doing the March update for Titanfall rather than, in preparation for.

Slowdog wrote:I have no problems with MS (or anyone) trying to change things and do something new, if you dont, things will never progress.

The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rings true aswell though, do they not test these things before releasing to great unwashed? The party chat feature is a massive step backwards compared to what we had, someone must have said something during testing? "this party chat is shit compared to 360" unless they were all too frightened for thier jobs with the whole shambles of the launch lead up.

And no battery indicator and storage viewability, what, did they think noone would notice?

I like my X1, its not exactly what I was expecting, I was expecting it to be better to be honest, or certainly better than my 360 but its not that much better to be fair. These updates will hopefully see it improve but its games we need more than anything.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 16:10

games - 2 weeks to thief....... 4 ish to Titanfall woop woop
Reaper FWG
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by slowdog76 Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 17:02

i agree gizzles. theres a part of me that thinks they got so flustered with all their problems between announcement and launch that things got overlooked. it probably wasnt, but theyre such odd things to have omitted that i wouldnt be surprised if it became apparent that it were true
slowdog76
slowdog76
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerRamone2084 Thu 6 Feb 2014 - 19:35

On March 4, in advance of what is expected to be the biggest game launch of the year, we will be delivering another system update to prepare your Xbox One for “Titanfall.”
No, I didn't read the whole thing - id already read about it elsewhere previously. But that to me reads like 'were putting out a patch to make sure the console can cope with one of our (if not) the biggest release on the xb1 this year.

As far as the stuff wrong with the xb1 - my bet is that they wanted it out ASAP knowing they can always fix it later. The alternative was to be playing catchup with sony. Like or loathe the PS the units shifted for ps3 vs 360 showed were more or less the same. The 360 had a years head start and better online and still the ps3 still sold as many.
What with the hardware spec differences and all they surely wouldnt want to risk being several months behind in terms of being our in consumers hands.

To be honest I dont think either console were really ready 100% but based on what ive used of both the boner was less ready.
Missing stuff like accessing save files and saying 'its so you can concentrate on having fun being entertained'.. cmon.
HomerRamone2084
HomerRamone2084
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk Fri 7 Feb 2014 - 20:43

I don't think MS are trying to out-sell Sony globally really. It's just not realistic. Japan is a massive market and they just have zero presence there despite some efforts to crack it.

The global sales aren't what will be keeping the MS execs up at night, it will be the specific Xbone vs PS4 stats for Europe, especially the UK, and most importantly the US that they will focus on.
Daz190uk
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerRamone2084 Sat 8 Feb 2014 - 9:42

Why is japan relevant ? The ps3 sold 3x as many units in the US as it did Japan.
The total sales of ps3 and xbox combined accounts for around one sixth of the global sales.
Which I would guess is why neither console is currently out there.

Both will get a release there and im sure youre right - the ps4 will outsell it there.
But currently the ps4 its also outselling the xb1 everywhere else. If the xb1 hadnt yet been released then the xb1 would have been playing catch up. Since the 360 wasnt and globally the ps3 still outsold it I can only assume this is why microsoft chose to launch before it was ready. Its even conceivable that sony knew microsoft would panic and release when it wasnt ready but concluded that whilst the ps4 wasnt ready either it was less not ready than the xb1 was likely to be.

Globally the ps3 outsold the 360 too. The only region where it didnt was the us (no surprise there).
But the 360 had a huge head start almost everywhere too - almost a year in some regions. Even with this it managed to outsell the ps3 on its home turf.

both corps are in it for the money - why wouldn't they want to outsell the competition ?

Oh and just so we are clear - im not saying that more sales = better product. We all know it doesn't work that way. And I much preferred the 360 over the ps3. What I am saying is that microsoft mostly likely panice and released the xb1 so the ps4 didnt get too big a head start over it in terms of sales.

If they had waited some of the -ve press might have landed on sonys lap. Wether or not that would have been better for them I guess we wont ever know.
HomerRamone2084
HomerRamone2084
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk Sat 8 Feb 2014 - 9:49

Of course both want more sales to make more money but that's an extremely simplistic view of business.

They will have a plan and that is where the concerns will be. Japan matters for the point you mention - it's a 6th of global sales - that's a massive slice. The reason neither is out there is because it will be a captive audience when it does come out so no need to compete too hard - Sony went after MS's largest markets in the US and Europe, they've left Japan not because it doesn't matter or is too small but because they will sow it up anyway.

No one is disputing how well the PS3 ended up doing but things are very different towards the end of a long console generation - there were an awful lot of people that owned both. That might happen this time too but it depends how quickly prices drop and how long the generation lasts for. The key will be where the PS4 and Xbone are in 1-2 years time as that is when major decisions will be made around what to do next and there's a knock on effect to that even if one catches the other after that point.
Daz190uk
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by slowdog76 Sat 8 Feb 2014 - 10:36

i dont think either company give a crap about how well the other is or isnt doing. not really. they have their own set of projections, and they well measure their success or lack there-of in accordance to that. I mean, lets face it, both consoles have broken sales records. both are selling extremely well in the short term.

just looking at last gens sales figures doesnt tell the whole story. just looking at the numbers doesnt tell you just how many of the 360's sold were to people that already owned a 360 and suffered hardware failure. there is quite a large gap between console sales and xbox live users, and replacements will account for a huge number of that. when you allow for that, you realise that sony had pulled back and overtaken MS a long time ago.

going into the last gen, sony had an incredibly strong reputation. despite whatever problems the ps3 hardware may or may not have had, if ps3 released at the same time as the 360, it would have blown it out of that water. if you had asked me before either new console had been announced which console would be ahead in sales if both released at the same time, I would have said PS. without question. it is just that highly regarded, and last gen did nothing to erode that in any significant way.

personally, i think xb1 is selling better than most expected, myself included. there is nothing to suggest, at least for a year or two, that there is anything to worry about. i think there are certain things it really needs to demonstrate over the next couple of years, if it wants to encourage future growth

people say they rushed to market, and yes, they maybe did. but, if they hadnt, i think they would have found it much harder to get the kind of sales they currently have if they had allowed sony to beat them and build up good momentum
slowdog76
slowdog76
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Sat 8 Feb 2014 - 11:15

slowdog76 wrote:
people say they rushed to market, and yes, they maybe did. but, if they hadnt, i think they would have found it much harder to get the kind of sales they currently have if they had allowed sony to beat them and build up good momentum

If they had held the X1 off I would have most definatly have got a PS4, enjoyed it and not bought an X1 and I bet I'm not the only one, rushed or not they had to release when they did.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG Sat 8 Feb 2014 - 13:50

i prob would have....... then bought a x1 lol

where as i have a x1 and have no intrest in a ps4.

Reaper FWG
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk Sat 8 Feb 2014 - 13:53

Yeah, I'm the same as Giz. I likely would of caved and got a PS4 too.
Daz190uk
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerRamone2084 Sat 8 Feb 2014 - 17:38

I got em both... and so i'm playing on the PS3. In retospect I probably should have gotten one or the other but I dont care.. One day they dash might work and there will be something I wanna play. (Took me long enough to actually bother with the ps3 Smile )

Nothing to so with me thinking sony are great - I just happen to want to play those games right now. Im still playing a decent chunk of ps4 stuff and havent had the xb on in weeks. I guess when titend arrives ill give it a blast. And I have south park coming next month - which im getting on 360.

HomerRamone2084
HomerRamone2084
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Toasted Cylon Tue 11 Feb 2014 - 22:03

In case people didn't notice, you didn't get the update today.

Really WFT are M$ doing, how bad have they become that the can't get a small update out on the release date?
Toasted Cylon
Toasted Cylon
2nd Wall
2nd Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by slowdog76 Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 8:46

you can't really knock them for not launching it yesterday. surely its better to ensure that they release something that works rather than rush it through just cos you said you would. its a shame its not out, sure, but that they were testing that patch till quite late before launching it, and spotted a problem and pulled it is by far a better scenario than just putting it out there and hoping for the best
slowdog76
slowdog76
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 9:16

Thats all well and good but why announce a patch when its obviously not ready and fully test. MS aren't doing themselves any favours with all these let downs and broken promises.

On a plus the headset adapter sounds pretty good, it carries both game audio and chat through the controller, no more wires everywhere if you use T12s etc.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Wed 12 Feb 2014 - 13:22

£20 for an adaptor and you will potentially still need to invest in some additional cabling to get your old headsets working with your XB1.  Unless it isnt compatible in the first place. Might be worth double checking before buying....

This link explains a bit about the adaptor and compatibility:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/connect-compatible-headset
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Thu 6 Mar 2014 - 19:54

Got the new update, you can no longer view existing parties??? You have to select a friend to view if they are in a party or not, can they make it any more long winded? Once you go into friends its still as messy and ugly as hell, can't say its been improved at all. OK I now have surround sound via optical and party chat is on by default, thanks MS.

Am I missing something? Can you view active parties?
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG Thu 6 Mar 2014 - 20:23

no lol
Reaper FWG
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by Pagey Thu 6 Mar 2014 - 21:55

I was looking for parties earlier, but only way of finding them was selecting friend and viewing there party. Daft really but hey ho
Pagey
Pagey
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk Thu 6 Mar 2014 - 22:08

It's a lot better than it was. I actually prefer this friends list to the 360 one but it would be good to see parties.
Daz190uk
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next