Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2011 seems to be the year the FPS "freshens up" as Homefront looks to change the rule book too!

5 posters

Go down

2011 seems to be the year the FPS "freshens up" as Homefront looks to change the rule book too! Empty 2011 seems to be the year the FPS "freshens up" as Homefront looks to change the rule book too!

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 14:44

I could have been a contender.

I could have been a hero of the frontline; a gung-ho beast whose clattering assault rifle was the last thing that ever flashed in my enemy's eyes.

I could have been a legendary marksman, perched on high in my sniper's nest, popping craniums from distance like a surgeon of the battlefield.

But I am neither of those things. I'm tits-down in a mossy, dank cement pipe, mud in my face and woodlice wriggling in my hair. I'm panic-stricken, but I've dodged the heat of the battle, instead rather pathetically sheltering on the outskirts of warfare.

I am as far away from danger as Homefront will allow me to be. Call me a coward. Call me a bitch. But don't you dare call me a camper.

My US allies, gunning down our ruthless Korean captors, are the ones in the thick of the action, taking down the foes and racking up the killstreaks. They deserve the plaudits, the medals and the whoops. But make no mistake. I am the driving force behind our victory.

My body hunkered down in no-man's land, I've taken control of a remote flying recon drone. Whizzing high above the battlefield, I'm marking enemies out on all sides - their oh-so-clever hiding skills demolished by a single camera snap. When I've done my work, they're nothing but a big red diamond, one which screams: "Coo-eee! Over here! Kill me first! Me!"

It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it. And it doesn't make me a combat-shy coward or a mere assistant to carnage; my motivation for such a risk-averse strategy is neither fear or community spirit.

With each enemy I 'out' via my diamonds'o'death, I'm racking up Battle Points (BP), the first of two key gameplay touches that Kaos Studios hopes will differentiate Homefront from the current kings of online FPS.

As well as getting snap happy with reconnaissance, BP are awarded for kills, assists and - to complete the circle - blowing the buggery out of your opponents' drones.

This temporary currency system can not only be used to bulk up your loadout pre-respawn - with a choice of attack and recon drones, armour, weaponry, enhanced explosives and abilities - but also to buy a huge range of vehicles.

Only thing is, tanks, trucks helicopters and the like are expensive, posing a strategic spend-or-save conundrum: Do you splash out on mini-upgrades for each respawn, or starve yourself of extras; playing the long game and building up your BP number for a big pay-off?

By wriggling around on my belly like a 'fraidy-cat, I've chosen the latter - and my BP counter is clocking up at a rate. That is, until a particularly fearless opponent comes wandering into my circular enclave, and shoots me in the back of the head.

I wasn't hurting no-one, mister. You'll get yours. Extra BP for revenge kills, you know.

Kaos has made every effort to ensure you're rewarded properly for your points tally - no matter how you accrue them. So when you have enough BP for an M1 Abrams tank or Apache helicopter, you hop directly into them.

There's no waiting around vehicular spawn points, only for some mug team-mate from Randomsville USA to dispense some friendly fire before hijacking your rightful ride (as fans of certain other FPS rivals are likely to have experienced).

Sadly, time and unfamiliarity of the Homefront world is against me, so I spread my bets, settling for a double purchase in two separate respawns.

First of all is a Jeep, with which I put paid to a few aimless chumps before a rocket shatters my windscreen - and my life. The second is a class act; an attack drone on tracks which resembles a particularly vicious Short Circuit.

Carefree, I zip into the belly of the enemy's offensive operation, causing pandemonium with a volley of mini-rockets and turret fire. Sadly, this risk-free joy has to come to its expected end, and when a prosperous Korean chief gets his hands on an M1, my robotic warrior's is melted down in a flash.

The beauty of Homefront's multiplayer is the sheer balance of it all. Although increasing numbers of huge vehicles begin popping up as time goes by - and as battle points clock up - there's still always a significant for each of the standard classes: heavy, sniper, assault, SMG, tactical and stealth.

On occasion you're even given the opportunity to benefit from the saving skills of team-mates, by respawning in the passenger seat of their war machine - manning the gun at the back of their Jeep, or taking control of a second pair of crosshairs in their helicopter.

As Homefront also rewards both vehicular killstreams and drone streaks, you and your driver can both benefit from BP multipliers, ranking up together. This sense of teamwork is compounded in the game's CTF equivalent, which rewards all players who assist with claiming territory via a bundle of shared BP.

The second of Kaos's trademark unique features goes a long way to ensuring that the most powerful / richest Homefront players aren't the only ones having all the fun - and will have pulses racing the world over when the game launches in March.

Battle Commander, which is selectable in both Team Deathmatch and Ground Control, judges each human player via in-game AI to allocate specific, appropriate objectives to individuals. It also marks out particularly successful opponents with a 'most wanted' star system not dissimilar to that found in GTA (indeed, Kaos is quite open about the Rockstar influence).

This not only works well as a team bonding exercise - as you assist each other by converging on problematic targets - but also encourages truly satisfying kills.

Firing that crucial rocket at a four-star know-it-all as my team-mates distract him with peppered machine gun fire proves a particularly beautiful, "gotcha!" moment. (Imagine if those sneaky little knife flickers from MW2 online were to automatically become specific targets for your entire clan, and you're some way to understanding the joy of swarming on your most irritating foes.)

But it's not all bad news for those boasting the biggest killstreaks. As their threat level marks them out as a must-destroy target, the best players are thrown buffs - faster run speeds, flak jackets and the ilk - to help try and keep them alive. It's an intense play-off which promises to keep noobs and FPS masters alike entertained.

As you achieve your own BC objectives, Homefront rewards you with in-game goodies and more explosive missions - although obviously the more successful you become, the more likely it is that you will in turn become a designated target.

"We're really trying to add some innovation to the online FPS genre," explains Erin Daly, Kaos multiplayer design lead. "Players have been playing the same game modes for a long time; a lot of CTF, a lot of sabotage, a lot of objective games. We want to add something more dynamic.

"Battle Commander adds a really interesting hunter vs hunted gameplay style. If one or two players are way better than everyone else, stealing all the kills and causing all the havoc, we want to play off that."

Touches like these suggest that Kaos has taken heed of well-publicised grievances from MW2, Black Ops and Battlefield, and strived to create a level playing field in which the best can shine, but cheats will struggle to prosper.

Combined with its smart remote drones, tactically demanding Battle Points system and unusual suburban and domiciliary maps, Homefront may yet prove to offer something for every kind of FPS player - even those that spend most of their time face down in the dirt.

Back to top Go down

2011 seems to be the year the FPS "freshens up" as Homefront looks to change the rule book too! Empty Re: 2011 seems to be the year the FPS "freshens up" as Homefront looks to change the rule book too!

Post by N1NJA FWG Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 15:04

Be sure to buy this brand new - preowned copies are going to get locked out of MP after you hit rank 5.......
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

2011 seems to be the year the FPS "freshens up" as Homefront looks to change the rule book too! Empty Re: 2011 seems to be the year the FPS "freshens up" as Homefront looks to change the rule book too!

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 15:12

what????
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guichew Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 15:14

Thats as far as I ever get anyways Wink
Guichew
Guichew
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 15:14

N1NJA FWG wrote:Be sure to buy this brand new - preowned copies are going to get locked out of MP after you hit rank 5.......

Oh well thats fecking gay!

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 15:56

I need to dig around but I believe the game ships with a single use code so second hand owners are going to have to pay to unlock mp No
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 15:57

N1NJA FWG wrote:I need to dig around but I believe the game ships with a single use code so second hand owners are going to have to pay to unlock mp No

Yeah just checked and that is the case, this is another thing that your going to see more and more of in 2011....

Back to top Go down

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 15:59

thats bullshit,thats what will kill a lot of online gameplay no doubt!
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 16:02

MAVERiCK FWG wrote:thats bullshit,thats what will kill a lot of online gameplay no doubt!

It doesn't seem to have had much of an effect on the online gaming scene (Bad Co. 2 for eg.) people seem happy to buy prewoned then spend a few points unlocking the MP...I'd rather buy new personally....

Back to top Go down

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 16:08

did you have to do it for bad co 2 ? i dont remember
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 16:10

Yeah it had that VIP code thing and if you buy from the Xbox Live Ondemand you have to pay £29.99 then pay the extra for MP!

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 16:10

Taken from a EG article, it doesn't even mention unlocking mp on preowned copies of homefront.....

More than half of GAME's customers trade in their old games to help buy new games.

Trade-ins were huge over Christmas, Group CEO Ian Shepherd told MCV.

"Even in the run-up to Christmas, when you would think most of our customers are buying games new in order to give them as gifts, you still have a lot of trade-in happening," Shepherd said.

"Around 50 to 60 per cent of the time, when we were selling a brand new game we were taking in a trade-in against it."

Shepherd's comments are sure to interest game publishers, many of which blame pre-owned sales for their financial woes.

THQ is one publisher that has attempted to combat used game sales.

Upcoming shooter Homefront will block used game buyers from progressing past level five in multiplayer.

EA's Online Pass requires users to redeem a one-off unlock code to access online features. Without it, a fee must be paid to play online.

N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 16:13

looks like i wont be buying this then,wasnt going to buy it new was goona wait untill it was cheaper,EA being money hungry bastards again
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 16:15

I found this on MCV Chris:

Mirroring the strategy employed by EA and its Online Pass, THQ has confirmed that upcoming shooter Homefront will include the THQ Pass.

Shacknews reports that single-use code will be included with the game. Those who buy a pre-owned copy can obtain a new code from THQ for $10. The THQ Pass was first seen with last year's UFC 2010.

Unlike with EA Sports titles, those without a code will still be able to play Homefront online. However, their character will be capped at level five. Those with a THQ Pass will be able to level up all the way to level 75.

Players will be free to carry on playing online without levelling up, and the single-player mode is not affected.

Homefront is due for release on Xbox 360 and PS3 on March 11th. A PC version is also in the works.

@Ian It's THQ this time mate not EA Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 16:23

Aping project 10 dollar then. Fuck em, I could handle things like the cerberus network as it also came with some DLC linked to it - this is bollocks though and this is one I think I will be giving a miss, new or preowned.
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guichew Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 19:30

Is the THQ Pass game specific or will it apply to all THQ games I wonder?
Guichew
Guichew
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 19:38

Guichew wrote:Is the THQ Pass game specific or will it apply to all THQ games I wonder?

It works the same as EA's games. Each copy contains a code to unlock the multiplay for that game, no code means you have to pay for a new one for each game.

I expect Activision will adopt this scheme sometime soon and then some of the smaller publishers might look to hop on the wagon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guichew Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 19:43

Thanks Tom - that sucks!
Guichew
Guichew
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 20:02

I kinda understand the whole project 10 dollar thing and this action by THQ as well - they don't see any income from pre owned sales and the likes of Game (purely as an example) must make a nice mark up when you see how much they offer for trade in's and then subsequently re sell them for. Unfortunately, schemes like this just penalise the gamer who wants/needs to get the best deal they can with the money they have at their disposal.

I think this whole approach needs a look but at the end of the day, retailers arent going to go to devs and offer them any of the money they make and devs are going to hold out for as close to full retail as poss to maximise earnings per copy sold.

A new approach is needed and maybe it needs to come through legislation - if the like of Game (again only as an example) legally had to cover the project ten dollar cost then the dev wins, the gamer gets a no strings attached complete product and the retailer still prob makes more than enough profit.

Only problem then is that this could be open to abuse from the developers who suddenly decide 10 dollars (or equivalent) isnt enough....
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 22:35

wont this sort of thing automatically knock $10 off the price of pre owned?
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 23:07

you would think,but i bet no
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Jan 2011 - 23:31

Nope all it does is wack on a sticker that states "online play & dlc may be affected"

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Tue 25 Jan 2011 - 7:50

Reading through the OP I was really liking the look of this game, some really good unique ideas. Sadly as I read further into the thread my interest ebbed away. But to be honest I would probably buy new anyway if not straight away id wait for the price to drop
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=657179664

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down