Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sniper Ghost Warrior

5 posters

Go down

Sniper Ghost Warrior Empty Sniper Ghost Warrior

Post by IXHIGHLANDERXI Sat 3 Jul 2010 - 16:21

Ok...Sniper Ghost Warrior. I didn't approach this game with sky high hopes for two reasons, the lack of hype pre-launch and the low price tag. That being said, i was intrigued to see what this game could deliver in terms of "the true essence of sniper warfare"

Let me be the first to say that City Interactive (the developers) have managed a commendable effort with this game. It doesn't have delusions of grandeur and that is clearly evident from the moment you leaf through the instruction manual (all 2 pages of it, excluding front and back cover)

Anyway, the game. You take the role of two characters for various missions, using the sniper character for long range missions and stealth assignments while controlling a Delta Force operator for close assault. The latter works well, the Chrome 4 engine delivers little in the way of clunk (take note DICE), the control scheme will be familiar to Call of Duty players, and the mechanics work well overall.

The sniper missions too share similar characteristics. The problem i have with the sniping aspect of this game is the mechanics surrounding detection. Now there are moments where you'll be operating with a non-silenced sniper rifle. Fine. However, if you are adequately concealed (a visibility meter at the bottom of the screen will indicate this), a loud shot from the above mentioned rifle won't do much to give away your position. But the fiddly nature of the AI detection could mean that you'll be merrily lying in a patch of grass, with the nearest enemy about 160m away from you, twitch even the slightest muscle and that enemy will spot you instantly.

Its like all these guys have binoculars form glasses. Add to that the deadly accuracy of the enemy AI once you have been spotted (and by deadly accuracy, i mean enemy militia with AK-47 rifles landing headshots on your character from 160m away) and you have the ingredients for a game that seems confused. Its almost like the AI difficulty was tacked on after the level difficulty and complexity had been completed. It doesn't feel rushed, but certainly lacks the polish of the bigger titles. Which is understandable. But make no mistake about it, even on Normal difficulty, the hardened sniper veterans amongst you may struggle on a few sections. Ball breakingly so.

If after this, you still feel the urge to play this game (which i'd give a 7 out of 10 at the most) then i'd suggest renting it. Unless its in the bargain bin at your local gamestore, and you just fancy whoring some achievements.

IXHIGHLANDERXI
1st Wall
1st Wall

Back to top Go down

Sniper Ghost Warrior Empty Re: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Sat 3 Jul 2010 - 16:55

nice writup gordon,i fancied this when it was announced,i cant wait for the wedding to pass so i can buy games Smile
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Sniper Ghost Warrior Empty Re: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Post by AC Token Sat 3 Jul 2010 - 16:56

Im of the same sort of opinions mate i got it for £24 at blockbuster

Worth a hire before buy
AC Token
AC Token
FWG TOKEN HUN