Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Xbox to launch late 2012 - report

+5
Killswitchmad
FWG Rigor Mortice
Andy
FlukeyHeadshot
Waylander FWG
9 posters

Go down

Next Xbox to launch late 2012 - report  Empty Next Xbox to launch late 2012 - report

Post by Waylander FWG Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 19:35

The Xbox 360's successor is on track for a late 2012 launch, according to an Edge report.

Its sources claim that Ubisoft Montreal is currently developing software using "target boxes" - PCs containing off-the-shelf components provided by Microsoft - and that true dev kits will be available before the end of the year.

The report adds that a number of other developers also have the target boxes, including a number of EA studios.

The insider wouldn't offer any specific technical specifications but "it is believed" that AMD is providing a bespoke GPU for the console.

Ubisoft offered the standard "We do not comment on rumour and speculation" line when approached for comment.

Earlier this week, French site Xboxygen reported that an insider had let slip that Microsoft plans to unveil its next console at the CES show in Las Vegas in January 2012.

Edge's story also mentions that one of Sony's studios has stopped all PlayStation 3 development and moved onto its successor. The unnamed developer is also apparently involved in building the graphics technology for Sony's next system.

So, who will be getting the next gen consoles on release then?
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Next Xbox to launch late 2012 - report  Empty Re: Next Xbox to launch late 2012 - report

Post by FlukeyHeadshot Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 19:38

God I hope this is true! Definitely ready for the next generation! Very Happy

Matt

FlukeyHeadshot
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Next Xbox to launch late 2012 - report  Empty Re: Next Xbox to launch late 2012 - report

Post by Andy Thu 17 Nov 2011 - 20:08

Just hope ps4 comes out at the same time
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 13:14

I want one
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=657179664

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 13:58

to be honest despite how much i love my 360 i probably wont pick up the next console on release, i want to make sure microsoft have learnt from the rrod before commiting to one. That and the fact that game prices on launch are always ridiculous...
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 14:00

Waylander FWG wrote:Its sources claim that Ubisoft Montreal is currently developing software using "target boxes" - PCs containing off-the-shelf components provided by Microsoft - and that true dev kits will be available before the end of the year.

This is the most telling part for me and I wouldnt be surprised if the next Xbox is made to run on Direct X 11 - my thinking is that Dice made Frostbite 2 predominantly for PC and DX11 in particular and cut BF3 down to fit consoles - part of this decision is to cater for the now but enable quick and easy adoption when the next generation arrives.

For EA alone, this would give them opportunity (unless Activision have something up their sleeves) to strike first in getting the next BF/BC out quickly and efficiently and they have made a big attempt to unsettle their competition knowing full well that while they can't win that battle yet, they are giving themselves a big foothold in advance of the next gen.

This is only a very specific example but after reading the Digital Foundry article on EG recently, it was quite eye opening how Dice have positioned themselves as a developer with Frostbite 2 and if they are doing that then surely other devs will be gearing themselves up (albeit behind closed doors).

Personally I think the next gen will need to deliver (if feasible) hardware that can provide solid 1080p/60fps performance, higher mulitplayer lobby sizes and increased ability to render environments etc on a bigger scale than games can now meaning that (thinking of BF again as an example) console games wont suffer being cut down compared to their PC counterpart.
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FlukeyHeadshot Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 14:38

I think that wonderous graphics and bigger environments aside there are other things I want from the next generation. I want console reliability from the outset. Ive got a Saturn under the bed that has been going strong since 1995, Ive had 3 RROD and my PS3 also packed up. Just not good enough in my eyes.

I also want better matchmaking, I want the ability to avoid whole groups, where we choose recreation, underground, pro etc... I want to be able to avoid those who put 'Pro' completely.

This generation has sorely lacked proper matchmaking, Halo 3 is the only game to get it right, reach's sucks and as for Gears 3, well there must only be me that's not over rank 70 because I cant find games with anything less.

I want some innovation in terms of software as well. Not oh look here is another Call of Duty/Battlefield etc...because Ive not played a FPS for what? 5 minutes? Where have the games like Shenmue, NiGHTS, Mirrors Edge, Rez etc.. gone??

Some would argue that this generation has been the best, in some respects it has been, in terms of all time classics I think its lacking.

I also want the optical drive to be fast enough to stream from or for the hard drive integration to be there from the outset to cache to like the original Xbox. Installing games is getting old.

As for the PS3, I felt like my life was waiting for 100% on a bar with that console.

Barring a major overhaul to their online services, I think id skip the next offering from Sony.

Matt

FlukeyHeadshot
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 17:31

I'll admit i'm a lazy basterd and cant be bothered to change games even though everything is within 2 foot of me. So what i really want next gen is a multi-disc changer. Install 10 games to HDD and then put the 10 games in changer.No more getting up to change discs.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 17:38

I honestly think we may begin to see the end of physical discs with the next gen consoles, online services are now at a point where digital delivery is very little hassle and broadband speeds are able to cope with demand (except the uk we have shite broadband but we are quite small in the bigger picture)

It's also going to kill the second hand market that so many publishers now fight anyway and will decrease production costs and impact to the environment....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 19:04

Killswitchmad wrote:I honestly think we may begin to see the end of physical discs with the next gen consoles, online services are now at a point where digital delivery is very little hassle and broadband speeds are able to cope with demand (except the uk we have shite broadband but we are quite small in the bigger picture)

It's also going to kill the second hand market that so many publishers now fight anyway and will decrease production costs and impact to the environment....

This, the next gen console will not be a games machine as we recognise them. It will be a home entertainment hub to be used by the whole family and will make extensive use of the cloud to deliver services and games.
Duke
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by FlukeyHeadshot Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 19:20

I think aspects of the cloud will come into it however no way are most peoples broadband connection's up to downloading potentially full blu-rays of content for games, not to mention how big the hard-drives would have to be.

Both Sony and Microsoft have said that we are still a good few years away from digital only content.

I personally hate the thought of owning a console and all the games being on the drive or in the cloud, I'm old school and I want to physically own it.

Matt

FlukeyHeadshot
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 19:23

Killswitchmad wrote:I honestly think we may begin to see the end of physical discs with the next gen consoles, online services are now at a point where digital delivery is very little hassle and broadband speeds are able to cope with demand (except the uk we have shite broadband but we are quite small in the bigger picture).

You better move over the river mate.

I have nothing against downloading games if the price of them is lower. Although it will take time to download (about 3hrs for a 6gb game on my connection,based on Fifa demo being just over 1gb and taking about 30mins) it will save me the trouble of going to Ipswich and having to trawl round every shop just because the missus wants a skirt (that itself can take hours).

Another thing i can see happening is games being split in 2,SP & MP. Say £20 for the SP,£20 for the MP and £30-35 for both together. I would prefer that as its only the MP that i buy games for.

As for console becoming a 'hub' what is the bloody point? If i want to play games,surf the net and watch Sky in one place the i'll do it on a PC. Atm you can only do 1 out of 3 on xbox (yes i know its got Sky Player,but it aint the same as Sky Go),my telly can do 2 outa 3 (without a PC connected) and if you include DVD games it can do all 3. If i want to check FB or watch Youtube i dont think 'i'll stick the xbox on' i use me phone.

Why cant we just have a GAMES console that we just play GAMES on? Fuck the rest of the shite.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by FlukeyHeadshot Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 19:26

[quote="Pais"]
Killswitchmad wrote:
Why cant we just have a GAMES console that we just play GAMES on? Fuck the rest of the shite.

Love it, lets do that!!!

Lets remember that games on PS3 are upwards of 24gb, enjoy downloading that. Not to mention if we want it higher res it will be even bigger.

Matt

FlukeyHeadshot
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Fri 18 Nov 2011 - 22:24

FlukeyHeadshot wrote:I think aspects of the cloud will come into it however no way are most peoples broadband connection's up to downloading potentially full blu-rays of content for games, not to mention how big the hard-drives would have to be

I agree mate that broadband here and a few other parts of the world isn't up to scratch (Take my poxy 2mbps maximum for eg) in the bigger picture though we are quite a small percentage, couple that with publishers hate for pirating, 2nd hand and the huge pressure to "go green" and "cut costs" It's clear that digital delivery is going to become the standard format ASAP.

As far as "media hubs" go I have no serious issue with consoles heading that way as long as I can play games easily and that the features don't intrude on my gaming.....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat 19 Nov 2011 - 8:37

Personally love the idea of digital content. I have bought a fair few games that way. Funny how you can aleeady get bf3 for example on the psn.
What puts me off the xbox now is that just about every section is trying to sell you something wheras on the ps3 if you want to buy or peruse then you goto the store.
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 21:22

Been having a read today and something that undermines a late 2012 release is evident, Halo 4 the game gas been announced for 360 and I very much doubt M$ are going to release a console around the same time as their biggest franchise....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by FlukeyHeadshot Sun 20 Nov 2011 - 23:24

If the next xbox is backwards compatible then it's not a huge issue. Could have a scalable engine as well like frost-bite 2 also. The likes of God of War 2 came out when the ps3 was launched.

Matt

FlukeyHeadshot
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by falviousuk Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 11:10

Killswitchmad wrote:Been having a read today and something that undermines a late 2012 release is evident, Halo 4 the game gas been announced for 360 and I very much doubt M$ are going to release a console around the same time as their biggest franchise....

New console plus one of the biggest games ever launch at the same time, halo 4 would help sell more of the new system, new system would help sell even more copies of halo 4. MS could always change their mind about it being a 360 release and send it to the next xbox which happened with a few titles last time.
Then they could also launch it on both consoles with a superior version for the next box.

However launch console numbers never usually meet demand so this would mean lower sales.

arguments for and against whether it'll launch in 2012 or 2013.

Cant see them announcing at ces 2012 as thats too long till the end of the year and may stifle sales of the 360 with people waiting for the new console to launch

falviousuk
3rd Wall
3rd Wall

http://www.vazalla.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 12:17

Could've sworn i read that the next Xbox was due for release Q3 2013. Cant remember where i read it though,that date would make more sense though.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 12:26

My money is on halo 4 for the new console
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down