Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next xbox "Might reject used games" report

+2
Killswitchmad
Duke
6 posters

Go down

Next xbox "Might reject used games" report Empty Next xbox "Might reject used games" report

Post by Duke Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 22:02

A reliable industry source says Microsoft intend to incorporate some sort of anti used game system on the next gen console.

Full article HERE
Duke
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Next xbox "Might reject used games" report Empty Re: Next xbox "Might reject used games" report

Post by Killswitchmad Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 22:13

I did read this earlier and honestly wuldn't put it past M$, the only issue I have is that this "source" unlike the others as chosen to stay anonymous
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Next xbox "Might reject used games" report Empty Re: Next xbox "Might reject used games" report

Post by FWG Plod Wed 25 Jan 2012 - 23:30

Sorry but just how fucking ridiculous is this, not only will it kill the pre owned market but also the likes of Lovefilm and blockbuster that hire games out. I appreciate they are probably looking at the media/game download market but really!
FWG Plod
FWG Plod
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/k1ngy

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 8:46

I think we have started to see evidence of this already, with online passes, DLC shipped on discs, etc.

My guess, is that some sort of code will be needed to unlock the full game, without the code you will probably get some sort of demo, very much like the way XBLA has worked so far.
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 8:53

Its going to be tough on the likes of LF who pay the publishers for each rental - how are they going to get round that with out shipping codes every time they send out a game? That in turn could generate a whole new market of games being rented and sent back without being played and the codes being flogged on the likes of ebay.

An article recently on EG said that most publishers are looking to encourage the likes of LF who rent and pay a fee in an attempt to undermine the preowned market so a balance needs to be found

Maybe they will be looking at the way PC games do things with a unique serial number for each copy of a game but that again destroys the rental market.

Hard to see the fairest way possible on this where the only party getting screwed is the gamer...
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 9:00

N1NJA FWG wrote:...Hard to see the fairest way possible on this where the only party getting screwed is the gamer...

We probably havent helped ourselves. I think most of us have used the trade in/used game market.

The used game market is a debate in itself, as you can argue that when buying used games the money paid doesnt really go back into the industry so the publishers and developers are not getting the share they should.

Alternatively, you could argue that being able to trade in games, therefore encouraging these games to be sold on, might make it more attractive to buy new ones and pre-orders.

Personally I have stopped buying used games, but then thats mainly because new games drop so rapidly in price now, that the used game price isnt much cheaper.

Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 12:34

I don't very often buy used games anymore either but there is an argument that a lot of people trade in their old games against new - ok, the old ones go on the preowned sales figures but without the facility to trade in in the first would new game sales suffer even more?
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG MARKY FWG Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 12:45

Although I don't necessarily agree with the idea behind this, as I have bought quite a few pre-owned games and I don't think there is anything wrong with it, by doing so it may drive down the price of new games as there will be more people potentially buying new copies of the game.
FWG MARKY FWG
FWG MARKY FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Plod Thu 26 Jan 2012 - 13:47

I usually buy games through the year and then towards the end trade them in and using the trade in value plus any points i have earnt buy another new one ie COD or battlefield at the end of the year so I am not only boosting new game sales but helping the pre owned market as well (bloody hell I am a god)
FWG Plod
FWG Plod
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/k1ngy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down