Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sonic CD review is in!

4 posters

Go down

Sonic CD review is in! Empty Sonic CD review is in!

Post by Killswitchmad Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 19:06

I still live in the retro gaming stage of my life, I revisit nostalgic gaming more than a few times a week. I have grown to love the new generation of gaming, but when it comes to Sonic Games, you must get the game right. There are new persons working on the Sonic Games, some might be a little too young to understand what it’s like to play Sonic, but that is just my guess, seeing as the Sonic 4 episode 1 was sort of a let down, although my review was pretty positive, it was the controls that stuck the good landing. Sonic was a hit in the early 90s as one of the most incredible platformers of that time. I still believe it is one of the greats, along with the nostalgic Super Mario Games.

Sonic CD for the Xbox Live Arcade revisits the original Sonic CD, with hardly anything really changed.  There are options to change your visuals and the actual sound track.  I recommend you visit these options to tweak what looks and sounds right.  I honestly went with the nostalgic setting with the US Soundtrack, the JP selection wasn’t in my favor, as I am use to music by Spencer Nilsen.

The Gameplay is still the same, you have to go after Dr. Ivo “Eggman” Robotnik, who is trying to conquer the world by taking all of its inhabitants and transforming them in to robots. The one thing that I remember that really got my attention in Sonic CD, was the use of the Past and Future signs, if you stay at a fast enough speed, your whole scenario changes with the significant times, except for the boss levels which take place in the future . You still have your special stages, which were always fun to play. Use of the classic spin dash and peel out dash are still used in the game and very effective to those who want to keep the speed up. You have unlockables in the game, for those not familiar with this game, I will not give any spoilers, but will say enjoy the time you have with this title, explore your surroundings. You also have tails which you can unlock, but who wants to play as that guy. Also go ahead and let Amy give you a hug, just one hug.

Final Thoughts:

Everything I loved about this game is still fresh, I actually didn’t play Sonic CD as much as I did when I was younger.  I am glad to say that my love for Sonic grows stronger with every port Sega makes to the mainstream consoles.  The sounds of Sonic are still there and keep my retro game heart beating.  I highly recommend anyone, not just us retro gamers, but anyone looking for a fun game to play.  I always say, take a break from your everyday game and make this fit in your schedule.

Altogether Sonic CD gets a 5 out of 5 to me, it feels clean, a great port from the original,  and can be played by our new generation.  Go ahead and get this title, it is setting at 400 Microsoft Points, that seems quite fair now doesn’t it?
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Sonic CD review is in! Empty Re: Sonic CD review is in!

Post by Pais Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 19:38

Have got the first two (and best) on a plug n play Mega Drive. Still great fun to play. If you've never played Sonic then download this now.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 20:16

400 points is a great price point and a real marker for other dev's looking to port older games (charging more for completely new titles is of course, perfectly reasonable)

Might have to give this a look Smile
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Wed 14 Dec 2011 - 22:12

Sonic CD is easily the best of the series IMO and at 400 points it's cheaper than the original Mega CD version I bought a few years back....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Fri 16 Dec 2011 - 0:30

Whipped out my original copy last night and I'm grabbing this asap as it's still awesome!!!
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Fri 16 Dec 2011 - 7:32

I'd love to know how much money the original sonic games have made for sega, I think i got the sega mega collection for the ps2. Still i suppose if it still works as a game why not
Duke
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down