Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Games retail suffers worst week on record....

+4
N1NJA FWG
Andy
Waylander FWG
Killswitchmad
8 posters

Go down

UK Games retail suffers worst week on record.... Empty UK Games retail suffers worst week on record....

Post by Killswitchmad Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 17:25

UK games retail generated just £8.4 million in the week ending July 29th, according to a new report.

Data analysis by industry publication MCV suggests that the figure marks the worst week of business at games retail since records began.

About 395,000 games were sold during the week. The data did not include sales of digital products, which is widely thought to currently contribute about a third of total game revenues.

The slump appears to be due to several contributing factors. Studies have shown that the macroeconomic situation across Europe has resulted in more negativity across the market, with customers more keen on saving cash.

Meanwhile, the console cycle is entering the nadir of its downturn, with publishers and developers desperate for new consoles to stimulate the market.

On top of this, the annual summer sales drought has resulted in fewer games arriving at retail.
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

UK Games retail suffers worst week on record.... Empty Re: UK Games retail suffers worst week on record....

Post by Waylander FWG Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 17:47

Maybe there is just too much content available from this gen to play? I have a huge backlog of games that will happily last me until the next gen consoles come out.
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

UK Games retail suffers worst week on record.... Empty Re: UK Games retail suffers worst week on record....

Post by Andy Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 17:56

plus the preowned market getting hit by all these online passes - coincidence?
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 18:04

With the recent Steam sale and the stuff I get through PS+ I havent need to buy any retail games recently.

Online passes will effect the preowned market, but the price of brand new games comes down so quickly now you may as well buy new in most cases, apart from the COD's of this world which tend to hold price.
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 20:24

I suspect there is a bit of fatigue creeping in on this gen now. Talking to Bal and Devil about this the other night but what games have really got you excited in the last 12 months and have properly delivered?
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 20:45

Deus Ex and Skyrim are the only two games that have really dazzled for me recently and that was awhile back!
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Fri 3 Aug 2012 - 20:49

I still have Deus Ex to play Smile
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Simondo Sat 4 Aug 2012 - 0:59

the PC market is still going strong though steam dominates it, pc gaming is helped by ever changing and evolving hardware though, hardware prices are starting to fall as well as the new generation DDR3, 4+ core processors and high end DX11 gfx cards are common place now.

I want to see more DX11 games to push the limits of my system though and most developers are getting lazy and putting straight ports of dx9 console games onto the market instead of creating the pc game first in all its glory then taming it to be console abled.

been really disappointed with gaming as a whole over the last 2 years, everything feels like its being dumbed down to suit the 'casual cod gods' rather than forcing people to adapt to the games.

anyway rant over
Simondo
Simondo
2nd Wall
2nd Wall

https://www.facebook.com/simon.bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Sat 4 Aug 2012 - 1:02

Simondo wrote:been really disappointed with gaming as a whole over the last 2 years, everything feels like its being dumbed down to suit the 'casual cod gods' rather than forcing people to adapt to the games.

anyway rant over

Unfortunatley with CoD being the sales powerhouse that it is devs will always jump on the wagon especially with multiplayer and theres no sign of a shift from that at all....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by bal Sat 4 Aug 2012 - 18:47

Skyrim has been the only game I can honestly say I have really enjoyed over the last 12 months, nothing else feels new, I mean for me even storylines on games haven't evolved, You know what is going to happen long before it does, theres no creativity in the writing for me.
I know its slightly off topic
bal
bal

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Sat 4 Aug 2012 - 21:14

bal wrote:nothing else feels new, I mean for me even storylines on games haven't evolved

That is why HD remakes are becoming more popular.....
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat 4 Aug 2012 - 22:16

bear in mind its only a week of sales.
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pagey Sun 5 Aug 2012 - 8:53

I really struggle to get into games now, like Bal says you know what's going to happen long before it does. I very rarely buy games now, I just rent them through LoveFilm and it's very rare then I will complete them because they just bore me
Pagey
Pagey
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by D3VILSNIPER Sun 5 Aug 2012 - 9:09

NightHaze FWG wrote:I really struggle to get into games now, like Bal says you know what's going to happen long before it does. I very rarely buy games now, I just rent them through LoveFilm and it's very rare then I will complete them because they just bore me

Same and Agree.

D3VILSNIPER
D3VILSNIPER
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.youtube.com/oDEVILSNIPERo

Back to top Go down

Post by Simondo Sun 5 Aug 2012 - 17:27

my brother has bought viva pinata might go and play that as it seems decent and thinks outside the box Smile take the piss all you want haha
Simondo
Simondo
2nd Wall
2nd Wall

https://www.facebook.com/simon.bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down