Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retail copies of Black Ops, stolen and sold on...

3 posters

Go down

Retail copies of Black Ops, stolen and sold on... Empty Retail copies of Black Ops, stolen and sold on...

Post by Guest Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 18:58

Today in Alabama a thief took off from a local printing press with a copy of the upcoming game Call of Duty: Black Ops. The game, which is due to be released on november 9th, is currently set to be the biggest entertainment launch in history, outgrossing even Modern Warfare 2.

The alleged thief sold several of the copies of the game to associates... one of which who was a member of an underground hacking forum. The purchaser, who goes by the name of 'Ungodly Leaker' posted a thread on this forum showing the disc in his hands and making a few comments about the game. Ungodly Leaker had previously leaked Halo: Reach far ahead of its release and it is assumed intending to do the same with Black Ops.

Treyarch's community manager, Josh Olin, attempted to join the hacking forum and negotiate with the people involved, as well as those who had dealt with the Beta Leak, but was subsequently banned from the entire forum. Regardless, he was able to get in contact with several members outside of the forums realms - one of them, a regular on the forum known as 97SIRHB, was contacted via twitter.

For several hours, 97SIRHB's twitter account was followed by Josh Olin - who only follows less than 100 of his 80,000 followers. During this time they swapped AIM details, and talked over the phone. 97SIRHB then posted on the forum, revealling publicly that Josh was seeking information on the potential leakers and that if the game was leaked, that he would make sure the entire site was shut down.

The game, if leaked, poses to cause both Activision and Treyarch a large amount of financial harm; however a similar incident which occured last year in regards to Modern Warfare 2 was quickly quelled by private investigators and police before it could get out of hand.

As of yet it is unknown as to whether the game will be leaked in its full form in the coming days or not, but we will keep you updated as the situation progresses.

Back to top Go down

Retail copies of Black Ops, stolen and sold on... Empty Re: Retail copies of Black Ops, stolen and sold on...

Post by Andy Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 22:07

cant quite see how a few stolen copies would cause great financial harm to treyarch/activision?
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Retail copies of Black Ops, stolen and sold on... Empty Re: Retail copies of Black Ops, stolen and sold on...

Post by Guest Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 22:10

It'll be a quite a lot more than a few once the copy is leaked on torrent sites....

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 22:16

i thought each copy had a code so you couldnt play it online without? lets face it, most folks will get this for multiplayer
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 22:16

yeah you fricken numb nuts andy Smile
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 22:17

i would make an appropriate reply but as this is an open forum i shall restrain myself Tongue
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 22:18

l33t 5k1llz
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 18 Oct 2010 - 22:19

Jtagged consoles will let you online with it mate

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Plod Tue 19 Oct 2010 - 0:05

FWG JEDI wrote:i would make an appropriate reply but as this is an open forum i shall restrain myself Tongue

This is an open forum, outrageous behaviour i have to be polite to you all the time in case i trip up!

I don't think there will be an issue with it getting out there if as they say there was a similar incident with MW2 and that went onto be no.1 selling game
FWG Plod
FWG Plod
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/k1ngy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down