Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaming good for post traumatic stress?

+2
FWG Rigor Mortice
Andy
6 posters

Go down

Gaming good for post traumatic stress? Empty Gaming good for post traumatic stress?

Post by Andy Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 10:00

Video games tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to the media's portrayal of them. Violent video games in particular have been labeled as the cause for school shootings, violence in society and many armed crimes. While these reports are often backed by little or no scientific research, the popular opinion seems to consistently be against the games that we love.

In a surprising contrast to those reports, Jayne Gackenbach of Grant MacEwan University in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada has released preliminary results from a study of soldiers, with no pre-determined medical conditions, to see the effects of video games on real-life infantry. The study placed soldiers into two groups, based on how often they played video games; 'high gaming' and 'low gaming'.

The results of the preliminary study showed that gamers who played video games once a day or at least many times a week had significantly less traumatic nightmares of their time in combat and could fight back against their enemies in their nightmares, while soldiers who gamed casually would have terrible nightmares where they were unable to fight back against their aggressors.

Now, of course, a study like this is not all-inclusive but certainly makes you wonder if violent video games are getting an unfair treatment by the media. We can only hope that, in the future, studies like this are taken into account before journalists blame tragedies on violence in media.

[New Scientist]
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Gaming good for post traumatic stress? Empty Re: Gaming good for post traumatic stress?

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 10:34

you read new scientist?
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=657179664

Back to top Go down

Gaming good for post traumatic stress? Empty Re: Gaming good for post traumatic stress?

Post by N1NJA FWG Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 12:24

Gaming gives me post traumatic stress - especially any form of objective mode (except SnD) on Havana
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 12:28

FWG Rigor Mortice wrote:you read new scientist?

My first thoughts as well, do they have menu window cleaning articles?
Duke
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by feralmatt02 Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 13:42

Duke wrote:
FWG Rigor Mortice wrote:you read new scientist?

My first thoughts as well, do they have menu window cleaning articles?

i'm just suprised he can read!! Tongue
feralmatt02
feralmatt02

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 20:45

funny how foks make assumptions about someones intelligence or mental strength based on their job or passtime Wink
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 21:17

Andy wrote:funny how foks make assumptions about someones intelligence or mental strength based on their job or passtime Wink

It was Boc's wasn't it?
Duke
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Thu 10 Mar 2011 - 22:35

Just traumatic cheivo stress for me, when I rage quit games where I am struggling to get specific cheivos What a Face
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Fri 11 Mar 2011 - 8:51

whore No
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down