Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EA has M$'s next console...is a shock E3 announcment on the cards?

3 posters

Go down

EA has M$'s next console...is a shock E3 announcment on the cards? Empty EA has M$'s next console...is a shock E3 announcment on the cards?

Post by Guest Sat 7 May 2011 - 4:45

Microsoft is to announce a successor to the Xbox 360 at E3 next month, according to "a senior, trusted, well-placed" source.

The tipster, speaking to respected games industry publication Develop, said the new hardware was sent to EA last month - and that the publisher is getting to grips with the tech right now.

It's said to be a "very early build with no casing - it is in fact being stored inside a PC shell".

"Quite often when new consoles come around they're packaged into a PC shell, but actually what's inside is an entirely new console," the source said.

"Why let Nintendo steal the thunder in June [At E3]? It doesn't want to lose momentum. That's why I think Microsoft is rushing to make an announcement at E3."

Develop has been led to believe that the new Xbox will feature enhanced support for Kinect and will launch by the end of 2012.

The site's source added: "Kinect will keep the 360 going for a couple of years, but Microsoft knows that if it slows down now it will face trouble."

In March, Microsoft said it was looking for a 'hardware verification engineer', a 'VLSI graphics architect' and a 'VLSI performance architect' for work on what sounded very much like a next-gen console.

I've had a little read into the Kinect support and it seems it will be greatly enhanced with a new console. The 360 was never built with Kinect in mind and therefore has to share it's USB ports with all other devices this decreases the amount of data a Kinect sensor can send. With a new console Kinect will receive a dedicated USB 3.0 controller which will increase data transfer 100 fold meaning Kinect will be able to register more body parts and pick up on the tiniest movements at a 1:1 ratio.

Reports also suggest Microsoft has gone with a dual 2 core GPU meaning it will be on par if not more powerful than PC's will be come 2012. It also seems that the new console will use a newer variation of the Cell processor used in the PS3 but manufactured by either IBM or Toshiba reports suggest it is almost 2x faster than the current Cell processor.

Back to top Go down

EA has M$'s next console...is a shock E3 announcment on the cards? Empty Re: EA has M$'s next console...is a shock E3 announcment on the cards?

Post by Andy Sat 7 May 2011 - 9:00

getting on release day Cool
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

EA has M$'s next console...is a shock E3 announcment on the cards? Empty Re: EA has M$'s next console...is a shock E3 announcment on the cards?

Post by N1NJA FWG Sat 7 May 2011 - 10:29

No word on what kind of media it will run - I am assuming M$ won't ever want to credit Sony and go with Blu Ray so does that mean a bespoke disc format??

Sounds interesting but if it is being lined up as a predominantly kinect related console I have my doubts as it still doesn't interest me one bit
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais Sat 7 May 2011 - 20:46

how about next gen cartridges. i'm being serious. i was talking to a mate who works in computer programing and he reckons you could use tiny 'micro' discs (think smaller than mini disc) encased in a cartridge that could hold (theoretically) 2x the data of blue-ray. he reckons the tech could be 5-10 years off as everyone is hooked on blue-ray.but if someone put enough money into it it could happen sooner.

now he could be pulling my leg but you never know.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat 7 May 2011 - 21:22

am sure that is what the next psp will be using that is out at the end of the year pais
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down