Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Microsoft now forcing Kinect use in all future 360 apps....

+4
FlukeyHeadshot
FWG Rigor Mortice
N1NJA FWG
Killswitchmad
8 posters

Go down

Microsoft now forcing Kinect use in all future 360 apps.... Empty Microsoft now forcing Kinect use in all future 360 apps....

Post by Killswitchmad Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 18:48

So, the future of the Xbox 360 is upon us. It'll have lots of TV and video content. It'll have UFC on-demand and FiOS set-top box functionality. (It won't have Party Mode for video viewing, though.) In short, Microsoft's looking to turn their dedicated game machine into yet another app repository. With a worldwide install base of 57 million consoles, lots of partners want their stuff on the 360. And, as would follow, Microsoft's setting up some requirements as to what needs to be built into software hoping to show up in the second Xbox.

The Kinect motion sensor stands at the center of one those requirements. (The other one is parental controls, which makes sense.) Other features app developers can implement like avatar or Facebook integration are optional, but anyone looking to have their content or experiences on the Xbox will need to make sure that users will be able to navigate with gestures or voice. A year ago, this wasn't a requirement, just a cool added feature. But, with the success of Kinect, Microsoft's trying to make ensure that its usage in every aspect of the console. But, Microsoft's helping developers making apps with tools to help index search terms for voice recognition and motion controls. What they want to happen is to have a standard for voice search across a multiple partner pipeline, one that will spread out across PCs, Windows Phones and other devices Microsoft will power moving forward. The fact that Kinect plays a big part of that just reflects how important the device has already become for Microsoft
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Microsoft now forcing Kinect use in all future 360 apps.... Empty Re: Microsoft now forcing Kinect use in all future 360 apps....

Post by N1NJA FWG Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 18:51

Another step towards pushing the buyer who just wants to play games away Rolling Eyes
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Microsoft now forcing Kinect use in all future 360 apps.... Empty Re: Microsoft now forcing Kinect use in all future 360 apps....

Post by Killswitchmad Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 18:53

Agreed mate, it's getting pretty shoddy tbh feels like M$ are stepping back into the Windows mentality of just making money.....

Since the new dash I've hardly touched my 360 as it feels like effort just to navigate around....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 18:59

I don't use the new dash mate - I just hit the guide button and use the blades. The new dash is a joke

On the other hand, M$ have done me a favour as it has convinced me to never contemplate a Windows phone if they are based on the same tech lol
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Thu 8 Dec 2011 - 19:00

No Beales has a windows phone and it's shhhhiiiiiteeee
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Rigor Mortice Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 10:20

Crying or Very sad The future of xbox is not looking good for me. I just wanna play games. PS3 anyone?
FWG Rigor Mortice
FWG Rigor Mortice
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=657179664

Back to top Go down

Post by FlukeyHeadshot Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:54

The days of your games console being just that are gone. That saddens me to be honest. I'm not arsed about iplayer or facewank, I just wanna play my games, that's what my Xbox is for.

I think the new dash looks quite smart however as Chris says i don't really use it, I press guide and do what I want to do that way as its quicker.

The new consoles are going to be even worse from both parties next time around in terms of shoving features on to you that the gamer is not interested in. Its a bit pot, kettle, black from Microsoft who criticized Sony for forcing Blu-Ray on consumers.

Matt

FlukeyHeadshot
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:57

M$ fall short of their apparent goal though because for a device to be an all in one media centre it absolutely has to have a bluray player - not something M$ want to do and the ability to stream movie clips from (windows based) PC is extremely restrictive in the formats it can use so again is of limited use.

They want you to use their device as an all in one but also to adopt only formats which suit them which is utter crap.

They are running the risk of alienating a lot of gamers in the long run tbh
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by FlukeyHeadshot Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 11:59

Its the gamers who go out and buy Day 1. Microsoft shouldn't be forgetting that in a hurry.

Matt

FlukeyHeadshot
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 13:57

I feel that tainting sony with the same brush quite unfair. If you want to buy something on the ps3 you go to the store icon- something that appears twice in the whole dash.
Dc universe aside i am using my ps3 loads more than the xbox for everything from games to music. Am listening to it now. Features like copying music to the ps and then copying it to an mp3 player are examples to me how they are more customer focused. I actually use a me zune hd as my main music device and still cant use my xbox to interact with it other than simply playing music from it. Wank!
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by falviousuk Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 14:13

I believe this has always been Ms long term goal, which is why they got into the console market in the first place.

They werent there to compete with Sony or Nintendo, it was Apple that they had their eyes on. There has been a lot of rivalry for winning the livingroom these last few years. Apple has their eye on it (apple tv and rumoured apple tv), microsoft with the xbox and now sony with the ps3 and its apps.

Microsoft were trying to get in their to head off apples efforts so the xbox came about. So its not surprise to see all this non gaming content appearing on the box, the next box will be even more integrated with rumours of two different boxes being available.

If it still plays the great games we are playing im not bothered. 1 box sitting under my TV or even better still integrated into it is far better than the 6 different devices currently sitting there all using VERY EXPENSIVE electricity

falviousuk
3rd Wall
3rd Wall

http://www.vazalla.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 17:51

What we need is Sega to come to the rescue. I still say the Dreamcast was one of the best console's ever (i'd put it 2nd to the 360,and i've owned nearly all of 'em since '86).

So come on Sega give us another.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 18:05

^^ Agreeeeeed!!

Still have my Dreamcast Smile
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Fri 9 Dec 2011 - 18:58

As mentioned above this diversification of function is primarily to head off Apples eventual move into this area.

Look on the bright side, in a few years you could go to any house who has a xbox, log into your LIVE account and play your games from your save points.
Duke
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down