Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PSvita not off to a great start, retailers already slashing prices....

3 posters

Go down

PSvita not off to a great start, retailers already slashing prices.... Empty PSvita not off to a great start, retailers already slashing prices....

Post by Killswitchmad Tue 3 Jan 2012 - 13:17

PlayStation Vita's initial sales weren't quite as high as Nintendo's 3DS enjoyed, but it's been a good launch, right? Actually, not really. After launch weekend sales of around 321,000 units, it only managed 72,479 in the following (full) week according to TechDigest. That's 137,500 less than 3DS managed in its first full week after launch. Worse still, it seems punters have also been leaving many of the more expensive 3G version on the shelves. Subsequently, some retailers appear to have already taken it upon themselves to cut the 3G version's price by as much as 20% in order to shift units. Crikey.

In case you're wondering what all this Wi-Fi/3G nonsense is about, there are two versions of the Vita hardware. They're essentially the same, both allowing access to the internet through Wi-Fi like most laptops and PCs these days. However, the 3G version can also download data from the internet using mobile phone networks, a SIM card and a monthly data plan, much like a 3G-enabled iPad. It's this version of the Vita that's reportedly seeing the price cuts, bringing it down to the equivalent of $325 or £208.

That's exciting for us in the West, especially as the Vita's suggested RRP was seemingly aimed at competing with 3DS' price point when it was announced at E3 last year. Since then, Nintendo's machine has seen a massive official price reduction (to around £140 now in the UK), meaning if Sony wishes to remain competitive, it may have to come down some more before its launch over here. Even if the official RRP isn't dropped, if retailers are already doing it unofficially in Japan, it'll be interesting to see what stores like GAME and GameStop do under their own initiative here.

Of course, any price for the 3G model has to be taken in context along with how much a data plan will cost. Reports today suggest that US mobile network AT&T will be charging the same price per month for Vita data plans as they already do for 3G-enabled iPads, at $14.99/month for 250MB or $25/month for 2GB.

In the UK, similar data costs are reasonable. Existing Orange customers, for example, can get 500MB a month for £5 using a 3G personal wi-fi hotspot (which costs extra) or as a tethering bundle for their phone, or new customers can do the same for £10 a month after buying the 'My-Fi' hardware. Connect your Wi-Fi Vita to that and you don't need the 3G version of the machine.

Too many choices? Too many extra charges? Just too expensive in general? It's a situation that Sony needs to handle delicately, or else it could have another PSP Go situation on its hands. New hardware, high price, unshifted stock and premature demise. Nobody wants to see that.
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

PSvita not off to a great start, retailers already slashing prices.... Empty Re: PSvita not off to a great start, retailers already slashing prices....

Post by N1NJA FWG Tue 3 Jan 2012 - 13:50

Seems a shame that it has not taken off the way it was expected but I think in the current climate, people are less willing to early adopt and seeing as how quicky Nintendo had to slash the 3DS price to encourage sales they may be waiting on for a significant price drop.

Personally, I just wouldnt touch the 3G version for all the additional expense that it brings.

I also question how well it has been advertised, I don't recall seeing any TV advertising for it at all.
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

PSvita not off to a great start, retailers already slashing prices.... Empty Re: PSvita not off to a great start, retailers already slashing prices....

Post by Andy Tue 3 Jan 2012 - 14:30

most posts i have seen suggest that wifi only is the main choice. i did also read somewhere that games were actually going to be cheaper to download - another failing of the pspgo, but whether this happens is yet to be seen.

am getting one myself, even at the £230 price mark. just a shame that 16gb is the biggest card to be released in the uk from what i can tell, wheras japan had 32gb.
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Tue 3 Jan 2012 - 14:32

I did see somewhere that downloaded games were selling far more than physical copies, but that's only in Japan that picture could quite easily change once it's released in other areas....
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down