Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resident Evil 6 Review

5 posters

Go down

Resident Evil 6 Review Empty Resident Evil 6 Review

Post by Reaper FWG Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 12:31

Resident Evil 6 Review Resi_e11

Hey all
.when my mate asked me to do this blog, i decided to ask some guys i know and game with for there input and to write for me if they wished and had the time, this is the first one i asked Jamie Greenwood aka Reaper. This is his first write up and review which i gotta say puts mine to shame, but we are real gamers not writers trying to sell games. I hope you all enjoy (Boom)

Overview

The 6th instalment of the ever popular Resident Evil Franchise was released in early October. The game has evolved over different platforms from its original outing on the Playstation in the early 90’s, which had to be one of the first truly cinematic games to ever be crafted. It was a truly tense, scary, nerve shattering affair that was difficult to complete and gave a real sense of achievement on its completion.

Over the last 10 years the game has Branched out into films with the 5th Resident Evil film being released late September, Which for fans of the series is a Wonderful outing packed with past characters and lots of action.

There has also been a number of CG movies to enhance the characters and create more back story and overall feel of a world under attack. So how does this new game compare to the rest and how does it stack against all the past stories?

Review

Resident Evil 6 graphically is a very solid game, but it doesn’t push any boundaries, and has some very awkward cut scenes where glitches and shading are called into question. It uses the existing games as a base and instead of giving you one character it hits you with 6……. Yes 6 characters some old and some new.

The game starts with the choice of 3 campaigns. Leon S Kennedy and partner Helena Harper, Chris Redfield and Piers Nivens and Sherry Birkins and ever charming Jake Muller. Each campaign including the secret 4th campaign can be played in co op or in single player with little difference except having someone to bounce ideas off about the few puzzles and story twists that occur.

The campaigns interlink with each other and the game plays out over a large timeline intertwined with constant twists, and the occasional scare. This game is far less survival Horror like its predecessors and much more action orientated now, this however this is not such a bad thing, as it means the enemies from past games can be accommodated and boss battles have the feel of being larger and more difficult than the normal chapter enemies. And some of the bosses in the sixth instalment are large, and can cause problems when figuring out weak spots and how you can attack them.

Each campaign has a particular feel and enemy set to face, and as a fan I can tell you there are lots of great moments and nod’s to past games and stories. However the game handles and feels stiff at times and although this suits the style of the game it does nothing to advance the series. The game plays like Resident Evil 4, the controls areas unresponsive at times and the game uses far too many ‘quick time events’ too many to actually make them feel useful or appropriate.

Leon’s campaign feels like the closest to the other Resident Evil games, where as Chris’s feels less Resident Evil and more Capcom meets Call of Duty with a Gears cover system thrown in. But where we have the love for both Leon and Chris's characters we can over look some of the smaller issues. Unfortunately in Sherry and Jakes case there campaign fails to impress and has very few highlights, it simply serves the purpose of explaining some of the ‘main’ story components.

Resident Evil 6 Review Reside11

The game also suffers from what I call Train line syndrome. In Resident Evil you start and you just keep going ‘Linear story’ even ‘Linear action’ and the action comes thick and fast and from start to finish. Unfortunately though the game’s have lost there origins ‘Survival Horror’ gone is the feel of suspense of fear, the games no longer aim to build tension they are instead ‘Action orientated’ and although the action is ‘thick and fast’ there is never any real feel of terror.

The other unsatisfying component is that when you kill a Zombie (and there are thousands to kill) they immediately bubble and burn away into nothingness! A battle leaves bodies, evidence and the satisfaction that you have overcome something, Resident Evil ignores this and has stuck with a unrealistic component for 3 games now but strides to be ‘Realistic in every other aspect? Come on Capcom a little consistency!

However despite these flaws, in graphics the mechanics,the control system and the lack of suspense. (which is a lot to lack) this is Still Resident Evil, it still has the heritage, the story, the character appeal and the ability to show a story Cinematically and immerse you in an experience. It still is Resident Evil even if its hard to remember some times.

The game itself will take you around about 24 hours to complete on a normal play through, however only achievement hunters will want a second play as it is a game that once you have completed you are satisfied and dont feel the compulsion to do it again. You are satisfied knowing that the next one will be good..... We just hope it leaps forward and catch’s up to some other similar titles like Dead Space to give us a truly outstanding resident Evil game.

Graphics 5/10 Well presented, fluid just nothing special.
Gameplay 6/10 Mechanics feel old and stiff.
Story 8/10 Well told, feels like Resident evil should.

Overall 7/10 Not the best game but a Good, Solid outing never the less.

Last edited by Reaper FWG on Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 12:36; edited 1 time in total
Reaper FWG
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Resident Evil 6 Review Empty Re: Resident Evil 6 Review

Post by Pagey Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 12:34

Where did you copy and paste that from Jamie ? Just that it cant be you because its not got loads of spelling mistakes Cool
Pagey
Pagey
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 12:37

there are still a few. lol

i just thought id write something to show everyone im not a Retard!

also all my own work and thoughts!
Reaper FWG
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Unky Al Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 12:39

Reaper FWG wrote:there are still a few. lol

Yeah right. I bet you set your class it as homework and you've nicked the best to post up here Very Happy
FWG Unky Al
FWG Unky Al
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 12:42

FWG Unky Al wrote:
Reaper FWG wrote:there are still a few. lol

Yeah right. I bet you set your class it as homework and you've nicked the best to post up here Very Happy

Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reaper FWG
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 12:44

Who ghost wrote it for you Jamie?
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 12:46

i ghost wrote it for Boom ...........Cunt face!!!!!!!
Reaper FWG
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Unky Al Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 12:46

N1NJA FWG wrote:Who ghost wrote it for you Jamie?

Rotfl
FWG Unky Al
FWG Unky Al
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pagey Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 12:48

Within 20 minutes of posting that review Jamie you have been hammered by 3 people. Thats what I love about FWG you get slated by everyone for doing wrong or right.....Love it Laughing
Pagey
Pagey
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by WsS BoomStieger Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 13:03

Haha I edited it only a little I need to reread again for errors before I post it up on a blog in a few days. I gotta finish opening blog post and edit that
WsS BoomStieger
WsS BoomStieger
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper FWG Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 16:21

good man Boom.... i re read it on here and found a few bits of grammer that i missed when re writing sections of it.

Reaper FWG
Reaper FWG

Back to top Go down

Post by WsS BoomStieger Tue 16 Oct 2012 - 16:25

U rewrote it after I did first edit? If so pm me it
WsS BoomStieger
WsS BoomStieger
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down