Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silicon Knights ordered to recall copies X-Men Destiny and Too Human

5 posters

Go down

Silicon Knights ordered to recall copies X-Men Destiny and Too Human Empty Silicon Knights ordered to recall copies X-Men Destiny and Too Human

Post by Killswitchmad Sat 10 Nov 2012 - 17:45

Silicon Knights has been ordered to pay Epic Games more than $9 million dollars and destroy all unsold copies of its recent games. The ruling, reported by Gamasutra, came about after Silicon Knights' allegations in 2007 that Epic was deliberately sabotaging other developers' efforts to use its Unreal Engine 3. To say the beleaguered independent studio's claims backfired would be a gentle way of putting it.

A North Carolina district judge ruled in favor of Epic Games' countersuit, finding that Silicon Knights "repeatedly and deliberately copied significant portions of Epic Games's code containing trade secrets" to produce its own game engine, which it used for Too Human and X-Men Destiny. The judge ordered Silicon Knights to purge all offending code from its current engine, but the ruling didn't stop there.

Silicon Knights must recall and destroy all unsold copies of the two games, as well as all code for previously unannounced titles The Box/Ritualyst, The Sandman, and Siren in the Maelstrom. If you've ever been tempted to try out Too Human as a case study in unfulfilled potential, now's the time.

Silicon Knights has until December 21 to pay the $9.2 million (roughly half for damages and half covering Epic's legal costs) and comply with the rest of the instructions.
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Silicon Knights ordered to recall copies X-Men Destiny and Too Human Empty Re: Silicon Knights ordered to recall copies X-Men Destiny and Too Human

Post by Andy Sun 11 Nov 2012 - 13:43

read this earlier, such an odd move especially when epic were the bastards in this fiasco. too human is one of the greatest games out there and its a sad day that all this prevented the rest of the trilogy coming to light.

guess money talks
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Silicon Knights ordered to recall copies X-Men Destiny and Too Human Empty Re: Silicon Knights ordered to recall copies X-Men Destiny and Too Human

Post by falviousuk Tue 13 Nov 2012 - 17:17

Now might be a good time to try and track down a new copy of Too Human and keep it all freshly wrapped up, may end up worth something in the future.

ps brilliant game, and didnt deserve all the crap it got.

falviousuk
3rd Wall
3rd Wall

http://www.vazalla.com

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Tue 13 Nov 2012 - 19:50

Only ever tried the demo and wasnt keen but I know Andy really rated this and particular as a co-op game. Shame that it has come to this for SK as it just might finish them off

Last edited by N1NJA FWG on Wed 14 Nov 2012 - 0:40; edited 1 time in total
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Tue 13 Nov 2012 - 20:01

I still have a copy of Too human, that Andy gave me before jumping over to PS. Never played it though.

Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Tue 13 Nov 2012 - 20:04

Waylander FWG wrote:I still have a copy of Too human, that Andy gave me before jumping over to PS. Never played it though.

Want me to see if I can pick up a copy and we can co-op it?
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Tue 13 Nov 2012 - 20:05

Can do mate Smile
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killswitchmad Tue 13 Nov 2012 - 21:25

It is a good co-op game but is a bit pants on your own
Killswitchmad
Killswitchmad
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat 17 Nov 2012 - 8:19

Just bear in mind it has a very distinct feel, possibly a marmite game, (one might say original). I actually hated it the first time i tried it but when i returned something clicked and i loved it to bits.
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down