Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hands-on: Windows phone 7 & Xbox Live...looks promising

+4
FWG Plod
Guichew
N1NJA FWG
Andy
8 posters

Go down

Hands-on: Windows phone 7 & Xbox Live...looks promising Empty Hands-on: Windows phone 7 & Xbox Live...looks promising

Post by Guest Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 12:17

Hands-on: Windows phone 7 & Xbox Live...looks promising Wp7-xbox-live-game-screen-e1287092265436

Up to this point, the iPhone has remained the undisputed king of mobile phone gaming. While Google and the Android Platform have made a promising showing, ever since the iPhone broke out the Unreal Engine, it’s been an uphill battle. Microsoft’s platform has long been the king of PC gaming, one of the leaders in console gaming, and now with the new Windows Phone 7, they are looking to knock the iPhone off it’s throne.

The first thing I noticed with the windows phone 7 was it’s screen. While not a retina display it still looked sharp and pretty. The Touch was precise and accurate. It reminded me of using the iPhone and that’s definitely a compliment. The phone has a nice weight to it – neither too heavy nor too light.

Hands-on: Windows phone 7 & Xbox Live...looks promising 473963-640-1152-555x1000

The iPhone’s Game Center is a poor performer in comparison to Xbox Live. Windows Phone 7 looks to bring the full experience of Xbox Live to a mobile device. When you first boot up Xbox Live on the device, you’re greeted by your avatar from the console, as well as the last achievement you unlocked. (It’s pretty cool) You can view invites from friends as and some of the games you’ve downloaded. Your avatar is more than just a still picture; it’s the same 3D experience that you get on your console.

The phone’s Xbox Live is tightly integrated with the console version. Every game you download for your phone features 200 GamerScore (just like XBLA titles), and achievements carry over between the two systems to create a single cumulative score. If you change something about your avatar on your phone, it is immediately reflected on your console as well. All in all, the integration is tight and it’s pretty awesome.

A great interface is fine, of course, but what about the core to any gaming platform: the games? Luckily, Microsoft is pushing a strong lineup right out of the gate featuring titles of such pedigree as Crackdown and Splinter Cell. From what we’ve seen so far, graphics are solid, gameplay is tight, and the Live integration is icing on the cake. It’s not quite a PSP, but will definitely be competitive with the iPhone. Check out the full list of launch titles and their developers below:

“3D Brick Breaker Revolution” (Digital Chocolate)
“Age of Zombies” (Halfbrick)
“Armor Valley” (Protégé Games)
“Asphalt 5″ (Gameloft)
“Assassin’s Creed” (Gameloft)
“Bejeweled LIVE” (PopCap)
“Bloons TD” (Digital Goldfish)
“Brain Challenge” (Gameloft)
“Bubble Town 2″ (i-Play)
“Butterfly” (Press Start Studio)
“CarneyVale Showtime” (MGS)
“Castlevania” (Konami)
“Crackdown 2: Project Sunburst” (MGS)
“De Blob Revolution” (THQ)
“Deal or No Deal 2010″ (i-Play)
“Earthworm Jim” (Gameloft)
“Fast & Furious 7″ (i-Play)
“Fight Game Rivals” (Rough Cookie)
“Finger Physics” (Mobliss Inc.)
“Flight Control” (Namco Bandai)
“Flowerz” (Carbonated Games)
“Frogger” (Konami)
“Fruit Ninja” (Halfbrick)
“Game Chest-Board” (MGS)
“Game Chest-Card” (MGS)
“Game Chest-Logic” (MGS)
“Game Chest-Solitaire” (MGS)
“GeoDefense” (Critical Thought)
“Ghostscape” (Psionic)
“Glow Artisan” (Powerhead Games)
“Glyder 2″ (Glu Mobile)
“Guitar Hero 5″ (Glu Mobile)
“Halo Waypoint” (MGS)
“Hexic Rush” (Carbonated Games)
“I Dig It” (InMotion)
“iBlast Moki” (Godzilab)
“ilomilo” (MGS)
“Implode XL” (IUGO)
“Iquarium” (Infinite Dreams)
“Jet Car Stunts” (True Axis)
“Let’s Golf 2″ (Gameloft)
“Little Wheel” (One click dog)
“Loondon” (Flip N Tale)
“Max and the Magic Marker” (PressPlay)
“Mini Squadron” (Supermono Limited)
“More Brain Exercise” (Namco Bandai)
“O.M.G.” (Arkedo)
“Puzzle Quest 2″ (Namco Bandai)
“Real Soccer 2″ (Gameloft)
“The Revenants” (Chaotic Moon)
“Rise of Glory” (Revo Solutions)
“Rocket Riot” (Codeglue)
“Splinter Cell Conviction” (Gameloft)
“Star Wars: Battle for Hoth” (THQ)
“Star Wars: Cantina” (THQ)
“The Harvest” (MGS)
“The Oregon Trail” (Gameloft)
“Tower Bloxx NY” (Digital Chocolate)
“Twin Blades” (Press Start Studio)
“UNO” (Gameloft)
“Women’s Murder Club: Death in Scarlet” (i-Play)
“Zombie Attack!” (IUGO)
“Zombies!!!!” (Babaroga)

As someone who owns a few mobile phones and who has handled many, I’d have to say I was impressed. This is the first time windows and a phone have impressed me … and I’ve seen a lot of phones. I’d also have to say, as a gamer, the Xbox Live integration is impressive and something to look forward to. Apple is going to have some major competition.

Back to top Go down

Hands-on: Windows phone 7 & Xbox Live...looks promising Empty Re: Hands-on: Windows phone 7 & Xbox Live...looks promising

Post by Andy Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 12:24

was gonna wait till win7 mobile came out but reckon they will cost a packet, at least to start with
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Hands-on: Windows phone 7 & Xbox Live...looks promising Empty Re: Hands-on: Windows phone 7 & Xbox Live...looks promising

Post by Guest Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 12:25

Yeah I reckon it will mate, If this turns out well I'll look to get it for my next upgrade Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 13:14

I have not long upgraded so have 18 months for them to iron out the kinks first. Looks promising Agree
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guichew Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 13:41

I Agree Android has only got to the point where it affordable for me. I think in ~ 12 months there will be some good WinMo7 devices at reasonable prices!
Guichew
Guichew
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Plod Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 14:58

Has it got a camera? that is one of the sellers for me. Hate going out (which i do alot) and having to think i need a seperate camera so went for the Satio with its 12mp a good phone as well so unless it can top that they can keep it.
FWG Plod
FWG Plod
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

https://www.facebook.com/k1ngy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 15:09

Windows phone 7 is like android mate, It'll be available on lots of different handsets so yes they will probably all have a camera Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Plod Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 16:32

killswitchmad wrote:Windows phone 7 is like android mate, It'll be available on lots of different handsets so yes they will probably all have a camera Very Happy

Cool then it is beginning to sound better already
FWG Plod
FWG Plod
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 17:39

Haven't got round to using my android for games yet, much prefer to use it as a personal organiser but these games look ok. Will be interesting to see how it integrates with LIVE
Duke
Duke
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 17:40

dont really get on with touch screen games myself.
Andy
Andy
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Plod Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 19:14

FWG JEDI wrote:dont really get on with touch screen games myself.
Fat fingers smudge the screen!
FWG Plod
FWG Plod
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 19:27

I'm due to renew at the end of the month but it'll probably be too pricey for me.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fifthwallgaming.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 19:29

ive got wood for the samsung w7 phone
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 19:38

Is it made of wood then??
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 19:44

mdf mate Tosser
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Waylander FWG Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 19:46

Thought it might be Rotfl
Waylander FWG
Waylander FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MAVERiCK FWG Fri 15 Oct 2010 - 19:48

Very Happy
MAVERiCK FWG
MAVERiCK FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down