Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Criterion reveals dark history with EA....

Go down

Criterion reveals dark history with EA.... Empty Criterion reveals dark history with EA....

Post by Guest Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 17:50

Criterion Games has revealed that it approached EA eight years to develop a "stunt racing game" called 'Need For Speed: Split Second'.

Speaking in this month's issue of GamesTM, Criterion designer Craig Sullivan revealed that after finishing Burnout 2, the team "were talking to EA Canada about doing a Need For Speed game, so we put together a pitch to do a stunt racing game called Need For Speed: Split Second."

So why didn't it work out?

Well, according to Criterion's Alex Ward, it was because of an ongoing situation involving the team walking away from a sequel to C64 classic Skate or Die, a secret game that the studio had agreed to develop for EA.

"We called a meeting with the EA guys, told them we were walking away and they went mad, threatening to sue us, put us out of business... there was a lot of anger and frustration.

"Then we got a call from the Need For Speed guys and they said 'we can't work with you guys any more; you just walked away and there's a shame on your company, so we can't talk to you'.

"I remember coming back to my desk and there was a folder on my desktop called EA and I just clicked delete. We learned a lot about how a game should be made."

It all worked out in the end, of course, with the team being given a chance to develop a second sequel to Burnout.

They finally had their wish come true this year with the opportunity to develop Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit.

Back to top Go down

Criterion reveals dark history with EA.... Empty Re: Criterion reveals dark history with EA....

Post by N1NJA FWG Sat 28 Aug 2010 - 19:10

Got to wonder how many of these kind of stories are in the background that havent had any press coverage.....
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down