Fifth Wall Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Destiny - Past level 20 explained

+14
Pagey
ROBAFET
Reaper FWG
N1NJA FWG
FWG Unky Al
Butterbean FWG
HomerRamone2084
Daz190uk
Dongziller
Pais
Toasted Cylon
jollygreenmofo
totalgizmo
slowdog76
18 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Destiny - Past level 20 explained Empty Destiny - Past level 20 explained

Post by slowdog76 Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 16:35

copy and pasted from reddit

Since Destiny is not your typical FPS, it combines a bit of Borderlands looting and Diablo 3 progression and is nothing like Halo, I'm sure some of you might find it a bit confusing. So, i am going to break down what the "End Game" at level 20 is about, and hope this helps you plan ahead and get enjoyment out of what is inevitably a grind-fest.

Yes, you are going to have to grind.
Anyone familiar with Diablo 3 or MMOs in general are familiar with this concept. It will become tedious and annoying, but when you get your first piece of shiny Purple, it will all be worth it. If grinding is not your thing, then there is plenty of exploring to do i suppose.

First, figure out what you want to focus on AT FIRST: PvE or PvP. This is not a major issue in the bigger picture, you can obviously do both, however, to get your FIRST piece of Purple, it will help you tremendously to pick one or the either, and stick with that for a bit.

Why is this? Because there are three different vendors you can get gear from: Your Class Vendor/Vanguard Armory, The Crucible Vendor, or any of the Faction Vendors. Your Class Vendor/Vanguard Armory requires Vanguard Marks, and the rest require Crucible Marks.

So, if you want to focus on PvE, then just stick with your Class Vendor for now. However, if you want to focus on PvP, then you should probably pick something from the Crucible Vendors at first.

Everyone requires Reputation before you can purchase Purple equipment from them. Your Class Vendor requires Vanguard Rank 2 for Armor pieces, and Rank 3 for Weapons. Crucible Vendor requires Crucible Rank 2 for Armor, Rank 3 Weapons. Factions requires Rank 2 with that Faction to purchase Armor, Rank 3 for Weapons.

How Do you get reputation?
Ah, now we are getting to the Grinding.
Vanguard (PvE) rank is simple: you can do Strike Playlists, which will put you in a random Strike, and you will earn Rep AND Marks (Marks are the currency used to purchase equipment). On the Left side of your screen will be a "Daily Heroic Story" which will award bonus Vanguard Marks once a day for completing that specific Story mission Hard Mode. Below that is a Weekly Heroic Strike, which will also award rep and marks, but is limited to once a week. You can also do Vanguard bounties and Patrols for reputation. You are capped at 100 Marks a week though, but you can grind until you get Rep 3 all you wish.

For PvP, it is set up pretty much the same, except you just have to participate in the Crucible to get Marks and Reputation. You can also do Crucible specific Bounties to increase your Crucible Rep.

As you can see, this is why it helps to pick which mode you want to focus on at first, since you are going to have to grind rep with either Vanguard or Crucible to 2 and then 3, and then use the Marks to purchase gear.

Ah, but what about Factions?
Factions (Dead Orbit, Future War Cult, New Monarchy) are a bit trickier since they require their own Rep, AND Crucible Marks to purchase items. If you wish to go that route, simply purchase one of their Class Armor items when you hit 20 (should be the only thing you can actually purchase), equip it, and start earning Rep by the same way you earn rep listed above, but now it will count towards that Faction, instead of Vanguard or Crucible rep.

What's the level cap?
Well, technically there isnt one. Once you hit 20, you stop gaining levels from Experience points. Instead, your post-20 levels (21, 22, etc) are based on your GEAR. Specifically, a new stat listed on higher level gear (usually Blues) thats called "Light." When you equip a piece of equipment with the Light stat on it, it is like adding a small bit of XP to your progress bar to 21. Equip enough pieces with Light, and you will hit 21. You must seek out better gear with even higher Light stat numbers on them to level to 22, then 23, etc. Its a long process to say the least. Also, dont forget to upgrade your gear, because it will also increase the Light stat number on that piece of gear, getting you ever closer to the next level.

Edit...picture explaining Light Level:

https://imgur.com/aUN5QFP

As you can see, i have "28" points in Light, and the Bar is about 75% full, so im guessing i need 40 Points I need 32 points of Light to hit 22, so i need gear with an additional 4 points of light combined to hit level 22.

This game is designed for the End-game grind (like most MMOs are). You will want to upgrade your gear so you can do harder missions, which in turn will drop better gear, and more marks and reps to allow you to buy the bestest gear. Or, you can just play nothing but Crucible, grind rep, do Crucible bounties, get your Marks and purchase them that way. In either case, it is a grind. So good luck!!

link to the thread for further conversation on it is here

http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/2g22lo/about_to_hit_level_20_heres_what_to_do_next_minor/
slowdog76
slowdog76
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Destiny - Past level 20 explained Empty Re: Destiny - Past level 20 explained

Post by totalgizmo Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 17:06

Thats far too complicated, I'll just stick to shooting shit.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by jollygreenmofo Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 17:51

Aye giz just fucking shit up is easier
jollygreenmofo
jollygreenmofo
1st Wall
1st Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by Toasted Cylon Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 18:07

So far I'm the same as Giz, I have a lvl 14 Titan & a lvl 15 Hunter where all I did was just shoot at shit.

Occasional dip into PvP, but pretty much spent it in PvE.
Toasted Cylon
Toasted Cylon
2nd Wall
2nd Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 18:30

Im level 16 Warlock and a new menu has popped up for just Strike missions on hard differculty. Not done a single PvP match yet.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pais Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 19:38

At least it ain't level 50 like FF.

Pais

Back to top Go down

Post by Dongziller Thu 11 Sep 2014 - 21:41

Not getting this game, feels like a poor version of borderlands and its dull as fuck playing on your own to be honest, cant get more than an hours gameplay before I'm bored, pvp is ok but nothing special. Maybe better with a few mates not sure
Dongziller
Dongziller
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk Fri 12 Sep 2014 - 7:33

I'm loving it at the moment. I actually feel like Borderlanda is a poor mans Destiny rather than vice versa.

Here's this months new content/events:

http://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Events-Inbound/en/News/News?aid=12133
Daz190uk
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Fri 12 Sep 2014 - 7:58

Its a great game but it needs more content soon, then it needs frequent updates, daily and weekly, and I dont mean redo this mission on hard to get such and such reward. It needs fresh missions.
I completed the story last night and then you are looking for things to do, PvP I tried, meh, I'd rather play battlefield to be honest. So I went on Strike missions, me Daz and Jolly took an age to complete the moon strike mission as the fireteam was under levelled but I literally ran through the Venus strike mission with a correctly levelled team later in the evening.
If all the end game is, is just levelling up your gear to repeat the same Strike mission its going to get rather repetitive very quickly.
While we are talking of content Ive spent an age free roaming earth and the moon and only had a single public event, events should be happening more frequently.
Map sizes, if you go exploring the maps are quite big but they aren't like they suggested, "if you can see it you can explore it"...bullshit there are invisible walls everywhere.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by slowdog76 Fri 12 Sep 2014 - 8:08

yes just read that daz. its good news and will be interesting to see what these bits and pieces are like and whether they placate the critics out there

one of the things that worries me about this is that it isnt an mmo actually. I mean, you look at something like defiance, when it did its big "events" they were invariably out in the open and able to attract dozens of players all at the same time. not to say that destiny cant do the same, indeed there are daily public events, but these are not the raids.

it is where the MMO comparisons dont really hold water. yes there are MMO elements here, but lets be honest, walking round the level hubs isnt exactly conducive to finding randoms, saying hi, or teaming up with them. on top of that, the most I have ever seen walking around anywhere is around 6 or so. that isnt really "massively".

i hope that all this concern is unfounded and the end game turns out to be grand. im level 20 now and not far off the end of the story so no doubt i will have more of an idea over the next few days.
slowdog76
slowdog76
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk Fri 12 Sep 2014 - 8:35

I agree that there is the possibility that this ends up being too light on content, whilst I also think it's way too early to say that. Like most MMOs - if you don't enjoy all elements it will end up beings content light so that's important.

I also completely disagree on the MMO points, Slow. Gone are the days where MMO simply meant lots of players - that's where the acronym came back in the early 1990s with Everquest and Ultima.

In this post-WoW world, it's no longer about numbers but it's a genre of gameplay. It means a strong PvP element. It means a "gear treadmill" and it means layered difficulty of dungeons repeated lots of times to gear up for a substantial raid that would take several evenings a week for a few weeks to finish as the team gradually improves through beating bosses and getting better gear. This inevitably leads on to either an expansion and level cap rise or another more difficult raid.

That's basically the PvE structure and there's nothing I can see yet to suggest won't so this but in a more casual way than something like WoW.

It's not for everyone and that's fine but clearly is for a lot of people.

Time will tell - I think it's critical that the raid is extremely difficult and of a good length - 6/7 bosses long really.
Daz190uk
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by Dongziller Fri 12 Sep 2014 - 8:50

What id like to see is an option for the game to team you up with randoms for missions if you want, a bit like warframe does. Some of the missions on your own are a bit tedious
Dongziller
Dongziller
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Sat 13 Sep 2014 - 9:28

The grind begins....replaying the same mission over and over to get enough "coin" for that armour you need. The "new" mission they added for the weekend is just one of the story missions.

I've also been free roaming Earth looking for Spinmetal to upgrade my gear so decided to go and look at the area locked previosly by ?? enemies, there's nothing beyond them, no chest, no reward, nothing? Keep on going and the path loops back around to the other locked off area.

And the whole currency thing is far too complicated for complication sake.

Lets hope the raids are more challenging otherwise Destiny is on a slippery slope.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk Sat 13 Sep 2014 - 9:49

I'm not sure what people expected to be honest. It is pretty much what it claims to be!

It'll be about gearing up (there will be an element of grind here like all MMOs) so that you can tackle the raid.

After that is the challenging bit to see what they do next.
Daz190uk
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Sat 13 Sep 2014 - 10:06

But we've completed all the content, it's just a repeat of each mission from now on. Was it possible to complete all the content of the original WoW game (or any other "MMO") in 3 days? It's probably a lot less than 3 days if you played only the story missions until completion. There's too little content to keep it varied, the Strike mission playlist I played last night with a couple of randomers went Moon, Moon, Moon, Earth, Moon.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Sat 13 Sep 2014 - 10:14

Daz wrote:It'll be about gearing up (there will be an element of grind here like all MMOs) so that you can tackle the raid.

I understand that but we are having to grind the same content over and over, by the time we'd done the Moon mission a few times you know what was spawning where and you'd be there waiting for them. I don';t have a problem with grinding but grinding the same couple of missions over and over isn't the recipe for longevity.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz190uk Sat 13 Sep 2014 - 10:21

I thought there were 5 or 6 strikes to gear up on on hard mode by the end?

If there's just 2 that's shite.
Daz190uk
Daz190uk
4th Wall
4th Wall

Back to top Go down

Post by HomerRamone2084 Sat 13 Sep 2014 - 10:50

If I had made these observations it would just me being a negative grumpy old bastard. Smile
HomerRamone2084
HomerRamone2084
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Sat 13 Sep 2014 - 10:54

There are 6 but only 2 were coming up on the playlist rotation. Once you're the correct level for the Strike they take about 10 to 15mins complete, if you're under levelled its very long to impossible. I tried the very hard level and Dregs were one shotting me.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterbean FWG Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 8:43

oh dear have i just bought a turkey 3 months before christmas.
Butterbean FWG
Butterbean FWG
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by FWG Unky Al Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 9:44

I'm really enjoying it. It's even more fun playing with friends
FWG Unky Al
FWG Unky Al
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 9:47

No, it's a great game just lacking some content at the moment. If Bungie do support it like they say they are then we'll be ok, if their support turns out to be just replay X mission on a higher level Destiny will be destined for the bargain bin.

I watched the Gamespot review yesterday and they have it pretty much spot on, great music, great gun play, great enemies, great AI, thin story, repetitive gameplay, lack of varied content, nothing new. I don't agree with the 6 out of 10 though its a 7 or 8 at least, what is there is done very well.

What hasn't helped Destiny is that its come out when nothing else is on the shelf, people have been crying out for something worth playing so when it did come out it's all people have played, burning through the game.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by N1NJA FWG Sun 14 Sep 2014 - 10:03

I'm kinda glad I haven't had too long on this (not by choice mind) as it feels like I am pacing myself with the game a little and only did my first Strike mission last night which was good fun.

I really hope that the 'lack' of content is more that Bungie want people to burn through what is there and be ready and levelled for when Raids etc are added though as otherwise, as others have said this game could die pretty quickly and I got it with the intention to be playing it for a long time.

In terms of gameplay and visuals, this is an quality game though.
N1NJA FWG
N1NJA FWG
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 7:49

Anyone struggling on the weekly Strike mission? Level 22 with modifiers...

If you're not atleast lvl22 don't bother  Laughing  You need a decent weapon with Arc damage (enemies with a blue shield), without Arc damage your weapon takes a 50% reduction on damage given. If you run out of ammo don't look for more just empty both primary and secondary weapons then ammo replenishes. It's thought that this mission is intended to be solo'd, go in with a fireteam and the enemies scale even higher. It can't be done with randomers as the game will just dump you in alone, you'll have to set up a fireteam first and go in as a team if you want to die with a friend.

Here's some info on the weapon damage type, don't worry too much about this until level 20.
totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by totalgizmo Mon 15 Sep 2014 - 8:24

For all of you who've decrypted that legendary engram only to be rewarded with a blue, it could be worse. Laughing

totalgizmo
totalgizmo
Fifth Wall Vet
Fifth Wall Vet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next